New to this site. Had to discuss this with someone.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcavana

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Went diving yesterday 32 miles offshore Jacksonville in 105 feet of water on a sunken ship. Was a great set of dives with good visibility, but serious jelly fish (stung several times)

Anywhoo, I would have to say that although the dives were fantastic, I ended up feeling very upset at the end of the day. The wreck was absolutely covered with Lion Fish.

I had seen plenty about the invasive lion fish in Scuba magazines, but since I am new to offshore diving, this was my first opportunity to witness it in person. Those things have absolutely no fear of humans. I was literally inches away from them and they had no interest in moving. I jabbed one with my blunt point dive knife and it litteraly only scooted 2 inches and then turned and just looked at me with all its spines erect.

I had no idea how big these things get. there were several that were like 18 inches long! Our grouper numbers in the area have been very low for a couple years (have always been an avid offshore fisherman) and now I see why. They were hanging out in schools right about the same places as the grouper.

Are there any efforts at this point to try to control this problem? I am assuming not because even if we all dove at the same time and killed every one we saw, it would only be a couple months before they were all back again and then some.

This just sucks.

What wreck did you do? I was supposed to go Sunday morning but our friend with the boat had family come into town unexpectedly.

Guess I need to buy me a spear, or start carrying my glock with me underwater.

It is perfectly fine to slay this invasive species when you see it. Just watch for the spines!

thanks, I will report it to them when I get home from work tonight. I promise you I am not exagerating that there were about 50 of them AT LEAST.

I was diving what is commonly known as "Cassablanca" not sure the official name. will get back to you on that.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom