New to this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jma1981

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm turning 17 soon and have no experience in the water. I do not know how to swim nor dive. I plan on learning how to swim/freedive
Some questions if anyone could help answer

1. Do you really need swimming/freediving lessons to become professional at it
2. Around how much money that will need to be invested for these hobbies.
3. Is it good to start now at my age?
4. Any ways to extend my breath-hold?

1) Swimming is an essential skill in general and needed for diving. Free diving is an optional extra

2) HUGE amounts. All you have or will ever have.

3) No reason not to

4) Proper technique, practice and aerobic fitness.

Howdy... don't know where you are from. So, I don't know what type of services are available to you.
You definitely need:
1) Learn how to swim. Check with a local park, college, or privately -- if you have a local Red Cross, ask them for a WSI (Water Safety Instructor)
2) Money is an issue -- I would suggest taking an introductory course first, see if you like it and are comfortable in the water with some equipment on.
-- depending on where you live initial costs can be between $300 and 1,000 for lessons and basic equipment.
3) Your age is perfect. Wish I was your age (or younger) when I learned to dive!
4) When you learn to swim you will learn breathing control (or at least you should) and your skill will increase with time.

***I hope you do eventually learn to dive and enjoy it is much as I do. It really is an amazing experience…

Don't know where you are from but when I was growing up everyone i knew swam. It was what we did in the summer. Pool, lake, river, pond whatever. The high school I went to put the pool in 3 yrs after I graduated(1978). Since then learning to swim is a requirement to pass phys.ed which is required to graduate unless there is some medical reason which prohibits it. We're not talking Mark Spitz swimming here, just being able to do a few laps and float a little. To me people who do not teach their kids to swim do them a great disservice. It's not hard or terribly expensive. Y's usually have programs that are affordable. Parks departments offer free learn to swim programs. And it's not just about recreation. learning to swim could save your life someday.

You are definitely not too young. I was certified at age 15 and my son at age 11 (in the Dominican Republic). Good swimming skills are an essential prerequisite. It helps if have good equipment and a father who is willing to subsidize your new hobby. Best wishes.

jma1981:
Hi, I'm turning 17 soon and have no experience in the water. I do not know how to swim nor dive. I plan on learning how to swim/freedive
Some questions if anyone could help answer

1. Do you really need swimming/freediving lessons to become professional at it
2. Around how much money that will need to be invested for these hobbies.
3. Is it good to start now at my age?
4. Any ways to extend my breath-hold?

Swiming? the beter the better. You will need to demonstrate swimming to some extent depending on the agency. In some cases a demopnstartion of skin-diving (snorkeling or free diving) will suffice. What is esential is being comfortable in and on the water. At your age I'd spend the wnter locking down the swimming skills by becoming a proficient lap swimmer. That's my winter goal.

Freediving/Skin-diving/Snorkeling is the first step and it is usually glosed over way you fast in courses. At your age I'd consider spending a summer as an avid skin-diver. Get a good wetsuit, mask, fins snorkel, gooties gloves and a weight belt. Buy good stuff so it's all transferable to scuba. Expect to spend something close to $400 -$500 for this stuff. You will become proficient at sustained oral breathing, be comfortable with your face in the water and learn to comtrol yourself with fins. Meanwhile the first 15-20 feet of shoreline dive sites will be yours to enjoy.

Cost after that? The going rate for OW cewrtification seems to be around $300 but can be from $99 to $800 for private lessons. You can the rent your BC, regulator set and tank for about $50 per day. You can get into a decent BCD and regulator set for $1000. give or take. Since you need to go get air fills the tank(s) is usally the last thing to buy. After that it's knives, whistles, lights and other toys as you develop.

If you can swing the expense you're at a great age. I wish I hadn't missed the 31 years between you and I.

See the freediving forum for enhancing your breath hold, yes there are ways to extend your capacity. There are also ways to die doing it so read first. Be sure to understand the term "shallow water blackout".

Have fun,
Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom