NEW: Toronto Ripley Sea Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's because there not accepting applications at this time. Notifications will be posted as required. You will require accademics in a chosen marine science study to get involved there as most start up staff will be from the US just to get the place flowing and runing. Good luck with your adventure.

Thankyou for that information Roastbeef. I was just wondering if what Dhboner said about the pay being only minimum wage is correct, because that seems kinda low for the education and skill they require.

Can you provide a link or something as to where you got that information? I ask only because they don't seem to have any actual job descriptions posted on there website and that they are not accepting applications yet.

My son is currently on a temporary contract with the Toronto Zoo and they got the job posting information internally (possibly through the AZA...I don't recall). He applied with his resume and got a response that he would be interviewed but that the job required him to relocate at his expense to Buffalo for a few months and that the current salary was around $8.50 per hour (which we assumed was minimum wage in the U.S.). I wish the aquarium every success but paying your animal care staff minimum wage is not a great starting point.

My son is currently on a temporary contract with the Toronto Zoo and they got the job posting information internally (possibly through the AZA...I don't recall). He applied with his resume and got a response that he would be interviewed but that the job required him to relocate at his expense to Buffalo for a few months and that the current salary was around $8.50 per hour (which we assumed was minimum wage in the U.S.). I wish the aquarium every success but paying your animal care staff minimum wage is not a great starting point.

Min wages for students working the ticket booth restaurants etc for sure, but not support staff, and when I say support staff I mean the mechanical stationary technicians that will be required by Ontario law to mechanically maintain the facility same law applies to any commercial building used by the public today. Educational, husbandry and scientific staff will be made up by a variety of paid and volunteers. I do know other diver who are mechanical operation staff as well and work full time at other Ripley aquariums in the US and they are paid a decent wage. The Toronto zoo is managed by the city of Toronto you need to be a union city worker to get any good money at the zoo and out of Rob Ford, My friend Doug works there as a grounds keeper and I think he is paid in the $26 range after 9 years service. My experience with aquariums is you will have more fun just volunteering as a tank cleaner its the only time when thousands of fish are brought together under one tank its amazing.

Back
Top Bottom