New Travel Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And they carry machine guns...saw them in jeeps one day in the West End.

Doc can add to this but I believe the head of Security at Cocoview was a former LEO. And his guards are armed. Plus the only access is by boat.
Good post Doc. First thing I noticed at Fantasy Island Resort was their guardshack; with two guards with revolvers...and a TRUE M16 (the original full auto model) in the guard shack- and the guard was intent on looking at the driver and his ID, even though he was in a FI van; and probably saw him a few times a day.

---------- Post added July 30th, 2014 at 07:00 PM ----------

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post Doc. First thing I noticed at Fantasy Island Resort was their guardshack; with two guards with revolvers...and a TRUE M16 (the original full auto model) in the guard shack- and the guard was intent on looking at the driver and his ID, even though he was in a FI van; and probably saw him a few times a day.

Everyplace I've stayed in Roatan there are guards with fire arms. Coming back to the Mayan princess at 1:00 am from West End and we pull up to the guard shack and what appeared to be a 16 year old is standing there with a shot gun in his hands pointed at our windshield. It's Honduras and the place is violent no matter what anyone wants to say. Tell it to the guys wife who ran the ferry back and forth from Roatan to Utila who was murdered during a crossing to Utila by paid assassins last year that Honduras and Roatan are just like anywhere else.

The problem may not be that it's extremely violent and people are running around killing each other night and day, the problem is there is so little police involvement, investigation and prosecution compared to anywhere else. If something happens you're almost assuredly on your own and there will be little chance anything will ever be investigated or anyone brought to justice. That lack of deterrent and consequences in my opinion is much of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seems like a horrible place to vacation...too many other places to dive.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of posts reported to moderators have been deleted or edited. Discussion about carrying guns in the US is not on-topic for the Bay Islands. If you want to discuss bearing arms in the US, please go start a(nother) thread in the Pub. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Just seems like a horrible place to vacation...too many other places to dive.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Absolutely.....ABSOLUTELY.......will make it that much easier to get into CoCo View which is routinely (in prime time) booked a year in advance.

Reactions: Doc
Since this thread has also brought up "resort security" and in general, the presence of armed guards...

You will see men with guns in bad uniforms wherever you go in Central America. The cause of this sight is from several factors. Law Enforcement in terms of "patrol" is generally non-existnt. Hourly wages, certainly for the aforementioned guy in the bad uniform, are very inexpensive. In a way, this fuels the labor environment as it employs a lot of men.

You will see the omnipresent "shotgun in the lap, guy sitting in the chair" in front of every bank, gas station, and grocery store. Even while the place is closed for the night. At the least, it is viewed as cheap insurance.

Most larger resorts do employ some guys with shotguns, if they have some money, they get them a handgun. Rifles are not that common, but not so long ago I myself funded the purchase of a real-deal AK47 (no magazines but a case of ammo) for $85. (think about that figure) It got it off the street and into responsible hands. A few years back, for a bucket-full of UN Dollars, the Republic of Honduras illegally abrogated their version of the 2nd Amendment. That seems to have worked well so far. Ordinary citizens can no longer obtain permits for carry. This has led to a much safer country. Right.

Certain resorts invite "locals" to their properties, the previously mentioned FI is one of them, along with TBR and some others that have a draw for locals in terms of slightly upscale bar access. Yes, the guards theoretically control the inflow of who arrives, but it is fraught with problems.

In terms of training quality and physical access control exacerbated by geography, ipso facto:
...First thing I noticed at Fantasy Island Resort was their guardshack; with two guards ...with revolvers...and the guard was intent on looking at the driver and his ID, even though he was in a FI van; and probably saw him a few times a day
Res ipsa loquitur.

The largest area of concern in the arena of "access control" is the physical limitations of that access. As was noted, CCV is on it's own private cay, the place is patrolled from all sides facing the water. CCV is subtly lighted- unless you are approaching it- then it looks like Stalag 17. (more stuff CCV guests can not even see from the land) It's a relatively simple natural barrier. Some other resorts are actually "streets" that non-guests must use to access their own housing. AKR is a prime example. AKR's guards are well trained and professional, but the expanse and porosity of their perimeter creates concerns. I wouldn't lose any sleep while staying at AKR, do not misunderstand.

Some smaller resorts are essentially houses within a neighborhood. They might have a night watchman, maybe a doggy. Usually, security during the day consists of house staff who happen to be around.

The biggest consideration is one that is invisible to us visitors, the most we can see is "guys with shotguns in bad uniforms". There are two levels of security services on Roatan, they are roughly divided into two categories: professionally trained and well paid staff, and the other is "guys in bad uniforms with shotguns". The aforementioned guy that created and trained the CCV guards is the "go to" guy for commercial security on island, including doing some "dignitary protection" (which in this case means watching over wealthy families who vacation on the island, private estates or whatever). There is a distinct difference in quality of product provided.

So in answer to the OP, directly concerning CCV, you have the unique isolated physical islet geography making it very easy for a well trained group of professionals to do the best job possible~ and no one is allowed to "show up" except guests (or lost divers from FI). They do have real-deal trained dogs, radios, all the stuff. At CCV, I arrive and toss my wallet on the dresser. Been doing so since 1985. They have silly little electronic safes and lock boxes, if you must.

Someday, there will likely be a real tourist somewhere on the island who gets attacked... one that was just being a tourist and not engaging in dubious activity. Someday, it will happen. Maybe it already has, maybe so. What I do know for a fact is that the bad guys know very well to leave the tourists alone. The "Tourist Police" that I mentioned are not there to bother you- they are patrolling in tourist areas (West End, etc) and they know who does and who does not belong. There have been a couple of occasions where thugs that didn't learn the lesson or see the obvious consequences, so they went somewhere on vacation. It's a big Ocean out there, as a wise Honduran Sheepdog once told me.

Over many years, I have had in-depth relationships with local and national law enforcement in Honduras. They know where the money spigot is located, they feel heavy pressure to protect that cash flow of tourist dollars. The situation on the mainland is a whole different can of worms.

The Bay Islands are safe, as is anywhere on this planet, for those individuals who should venture out of their yards from back home.

Last edited:
Our watchie always carried a gun(pistol)------we 1st bought in Sandy Bay in '94------and----he only had to use it once during the 14 years we owned there.........btw, remember when the 'bouncers' @ Fosters(on West End) carried AK-47s???......Our kids were there 1 nite in ~'95 right before Christmas & came back to the place saying "We just saw the Rodney King of Roatan"...ie 1 bouncer used the butt end on a drunk that nite--knocked him out cold & drug & left him in the back of the room........We never thought much about this.....

It's funny how uniform colors/styles and choice of deadly weapon make such a difference. Have a guy tuck his pants into his boots and carry a shotgun or other rifle ak/ar whatever and then he is scary to some folks but the same people think nothing about the guy in the blue tailored looking uniform who is probably pretty proficient with the Glock 21 on his side

Like Doc said it's relative.

Anyone remember the name of the fishing resort way out east? There was some sort of local dispute so the local came back in a boat with 2 of his friends and they proceeded to shoot up the place, and the owner had to defend the resort with his shotgun hiding behind stuff on the dock and returning fire. I think he killed one of the attackers or at least seriously wounded them, as that was reportedly what made them finally turn tail and head back out of the bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom