New TSA security rules: Any change for divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New Dress code for diver on airlines.
dresscode.jpg

New Dress code for diver on airlines.
dresscode.jpg

White undies with black socks.............heck of a fashion statement! :shakehead:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please save the religious discussion for The Pub. Basic Scuba is not the place for this discussion. Further off topic comments will be moved or deleted. Thanks for your cooperation.

Two trips planned so far for this year ... one Caribbean, one Indonesia. Just wondering if anyone has traveled since the holiday near-bombing issues aboard aircraft, and if it changed your security checks as far as dive gear goes. I usually stuff the empty space in my reg bag with back-up lights and rechargeable batteries, and put that in my carry-on, which also has camera equipment. Wondering if I should move the batteries to my checked bag, though I try to keep the weight down on that.

Any info?

Thanks!

Leaving Canada to US destinations or hubs seems to be a pain. CATSA (TSA in Canada) has issued directives on Jan 9 regarding carryon. Essentially, it boils down to laptops in laptop specific bags, cameras in camera specific bags, anything you can put on your person and a 10" x 12" personal bag (no, it's not a purse...it's a satchel). I heard that things are really strict going to the US, but not coming back.

Any recent Canadian travellers care to elaborate?

Any idea or experience on who is responsible for missing items when you are forced to check your usual camera carry on? I don't mind it being searched but if I have to check it I'd hate to loose cameras, lenses etc. I've heard that TSA blames the airlines and the airlines blame TSA with the result that you are out the items you were required to entrust to them and have to replace at your own expense.

Dave

Wondering if I should move the batteries to my checked bag, though I try to keep the weight down on that.

I put my life-support gear in my carry-on, a Pelican case (1510), along with some of my camera gear. I always put the batteries in my checked baggage, now. A few trips ago, I asked the TSA agent why I was always getting searched and the answer turned out to be that the batteries made it impossible for their x-ray (or whatever) machine to see the contents of the bag, so they'd always have to hand inspect. I haven't had my carry-ons searched since I stopped putting the batteries in it.

Any idea or experience on who is responsible for missing items when you are forced to check your usual camera carry on? I don't mind it being searched but if I have to check it I'd hate to loose cameras, lenses etc. I've heard that TSA blames the airlines and the airlines blame TSA with the result that you are out the items you were required to entrust to them and have to replace at your own expense.

Dave

If something is stolen or damaged you are mostly out of luck has been my experience. Just last year I had my Dive Rite light and case damaged, it was checked, no joy on reimbursement. N

i'm heading to mexico this weekend and plan to pack my regs in my carry on. This is going to be interesting. I don't mind them searching it but would be pissed if they tell me to check it in. I also hope they don't tell me to unscrew all the hoses from the ports since I don't plan on bringing any tools with me.

So, what does that portend for upcoming trips to the Caribbean? I am expecting that I will be able use a normal carry-on without checking it from the US to a final destination. Returning, I am not sure what will happen. We will be returning from Dominica on American Eagle and I don't know whether bags will be checked through to the final destination at JFK or if I will even be able take my carry-on as a carry-on. The added complication is that American Eagle planes typically require carry-ons to be given to baggage handlers on the tarmac to be stowed in the luggage compartment because there is insufficient overhead storage space. For fragile things, this is still better than putting them through as checked luggage. I suspect we'll learn more about this as we proceed from San Juan to Dominica, but at the moment, I am not certain how to pack for the return flights.

We have a similar case coming up ... American Eagle from San Juan to St. Maarten to catch a liveaboard in 3 weeks. No clue what to expect on the return. I'll get in touch with my travel vendor and see if they have any updates and post them here.

naimis - Here's a link to DOT tips on carrying batteries. If you search the TSA website for info on batteries, you are linked to this page ... Safe Travel . I guess it doesn't surprise me that one government agency is telling you to put the batteries in your checked bag, while another one is telling you to carry them on ...

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

After the previous Mod post the subtopic about the religion angle didn't stop. Therefore I have removed the entire subtopic.

This is the basic forum. If you want to talk about religion or politics please do so in the Pub.

Any further discussion about religion or politics on this thread will buy you a thread ban.

Back
Top Bottom