New wannabe hailing from the Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to echo the "Monastery Will Kill You" sentiment from ben_ca's post. Last time I was there it was beautiful, flat and peaceful, and it still tried to do me in.

... where I can get a reasonably priced drysuit that works well but isn't the price of a small car. ...

Hehehe... I read this and thought "that's funny!" Until I stopped to think and actually yeah, I guess you could get a car for the same money. Some time ago I thought I would check out how much money I had put into this whole diving thing. I started adding, the number started to get uncomfortably large -- and I just had to stop (adding, of course :)).

You could check out Craigslist, Ebay or Scubaboard's for sale section for used drysuits. BUT... they often end up needing more money than you were expecting (for replacing seals, checking for leaks and repairing them, etc). So if you find a used suit that's in good shape and it fits you, you are golden and you can save a lot of money. However, there are plenty of stories around of people getting a used one and having problems with it, so check it (and check it good, I mean, very well) for fit and general condition.

On the other hand, depending on how much diving you expect to do and if you are in California just for a project, you could just rent one and that way you don't have to worry about it.

BTW, welcome JLowe and parabuzzle!

where I can get a reasonably priced drysuit that works well but isn't the price of a small car.
Many people are taking to the Fusion and it is one of the cheapest drysuits on the market. The MK3 undergarment would be my choice from Whites.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/332144-lobos-fusion.html
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/fusion-bullet-drysuit-p-2750.html
Whites Fusion Bullet MK3 Drysuit Package - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I am going to try to spend at least 1 day a month diving with newer divers, so let me know.
I am a newer diver, so when are you going to take me diving? :D Or when are you going to come out boat diving?

JLowe, I will put in my recommendation for an OW instructor and class, and that would be Don (ae3753) who posted above me. You couldn't ask for a nicer or more supportive teacher, and he teaches a comprehensive curriculum that will prepare you well for Northern California diving.

Jlowe,

I have to agree with TSandM about Don. When I was a guppy and I believe I still am at times, he took the time to dive with me as a friend.

He nurtured me and never mentioned he was an instructor, I casually asked around and found out on my own.

I have taken two classes with him and they have been some of the best training I have gotten since SSI certification.

Send him a PM, ask the questions you have...

By the way, welcome to our neck of the waters... :)

MG

I posted this in the Introductions and Greets forum, but thought I'd post it here too. Thanks kathydee, for pointing me towards the NorCal forum..

So happy you dropped into our forum! Welcome!

speaking of advice on shops and gear and locations. I'm new to diving in NorCal. (I'm from Florida and am out here because I am software dev). I am wondering which dive shops are preferred in the san jose area as well as where I can get a reasonably priced drysuit that works well but isn't the price of a small car. And also, maybe a noob tour of Monterrey would be cool in the future :wink:

Hey Parabuzzel, welcome! It's not exactly warm water Fla diving here, (I grew up snorkeling in So Fla bathtub warm water pretty much every weekend and there is no way I'd dive here without my drysuit!). I picked one DUI suit up on Craigslist and the other one on ebay. There are other good sources, so feel free to PM me for details or for that tour :).

Dive shop? I'd highly recommend Any Water Sports - they have a great selection of gear, are very knowledgable and offer exceptional customer service.

JLowe, I will put in my recommendation for an OW instructor and class, and that would be Don (ae3753) who posted above me. You couldn't ask for a nicer or more supportive teacher, and he teaches a comprehensive curriculum that will prepare you well for Northern California diving.

Great suggestion Lynne! I was a warm water tropical diver following DM's around at resorts in SE Asia. Don is the instructor who taught me the skills necessary to safely transition to independant diving in our local cold water environment. He's a fantastic instructor and an exceptionally nice person.

I am a newer diver, so when are you going to take me diving? :D Or when are you going to come out boat diving?

"newer" diver in big quotes!

Ben_Ca and I need to coordinate and dive the north coast with you. That's long overdue.

TSandM, mikeguerrero, and kathydee - you guys are very kind. But I guess that means I owe you guys a drysuit or a small car?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom