New workbook for DIR-F class+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to have to order that book someday before my class in June....I should probably do that before June 1 shows up and I have no book....

I would save your $$$ -- all instructors hand out hard copies of their DIRF presentation so you can follow along during the class.

I am taking DIRF again this summer and the instructor confirmed that that workbook is nothing more than a hard copy of the powerpoint presentation given during the class (and likely an out of date version as others have mentioned above).

large_diver once bubbled...
I would save your $$$ -- all instructors hand out hard copies of their DIRF presentation so you can follow along during the class.
[snip]
... (and likely an out of date version as others have mentioned above).

We didn't get any handouts in the classes I was in, so I'm not sure what your basis for "ALL instructors" is...

As to "out-of-date"... I don't think the message is changing, but perhaps the ordered it's presented is.

Ditto to CWB's comment about the handout. Our class didn't receive the handout either, even though several of us inquired...

Best Regards
Don

That's weird.....in our class last summer, Andrew G. handed out the slides due to specific feedback from prior classes that they should hand these out. Nothing fancy -- just black and white copies. Andrew's quote at the time was that they were going to start doing this for everyone based on this feedback.

Looks like GUE needs more cash ;-)

I haven't followed up on it yet, but MHK offered to send us copies of his "new and improved" version so you might just want to contact your old instructors and ask them for one. I sure didn't get the impression it's part of the secret handshake - yet.

I did get the impression that the instructors and JJ are working on balancing the evolution of this class, especially as it becomes a cert. course in June. JJ (and no doubt his lawyers) are working toward consistency and, I inferred, the instructors like to keep things fluid. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see how it all works out.

~<//><

large_diver once bubbled...
That's weird.....in our class last summer, Andrew G. handed out the slides due to specific feedback from prior classes that they should hand these out. Nothing fancy -- just black and white copies. Andrew's quote at the time was that they were going to start doing this for everyone based on this feedback.

Looks like GUE needs more cash ;-)

I actually think it's an attempt to stay standarized. Many students are prone to write trip reports of their DIR-F classes, and some of the things that Andrew and I do, and were doing, differed from what some of the other instructors were doing. For example, Andrew and I would hand out copies of the PP. If our students wrote a trip report and noted that we did that, and then a student from a different class with a different instructor read the report but didn't get a copy they felt ripped off.. So since the trip reports are commonplace we want to try to make sure that all of the instructors attempt to standardize as much as possible..

Invariably there will be differences, for example Andrew and I video tape our classes in water preformance, other instructors don't.. We generally allow students that fail free repeats, other instructors don't, and so on.. GUE as an agency taken as a whole certainly can't require that in order to become an instructor that you spend X thousand of dollars of a video, housing, projector, but both Andrew and I firmly believe that the student benefits significantly from the video review so we invested the money..

Hope that helps..

Later

MHK once bubbled...

Invariably there will be differences, for example Andrew and I video tape our classes in water preformance, other instructors don't.. GUE as an agency taken as a whole certainly can't require that in order to become an instructor that you spend X thousand of dollars of a video, housing, projector, but both Andrew and I firmly believe that the student benefits significantly from the video review so we invested the money..

Wow ... I sure didn't realize this because there is no question, one of the greatest tools that MHK used was the video. It's one thing for him to tell you, "Chief you S***", but it's another to see it on video. Well, all I can say is another thank you to MHK for being willing to invest in the right equipment.

~<//><

P.S. Not that he would ever be so crass as to use such unrefined terminology :)

As of the first of June, All students that register for a fundamentals class will be required to purchase the workbook. If you signed up before that date, you are not required to have it, but it is a good idea to go ahead and get one anyway. Purchasing the Fundamental book and workbook and 1 yr membership is the best deal as you get a fair discount for the package. Best, Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom