New wreck in Panama City? Infinity Blu Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mac's Reef 29º 58.926' N 85º 50.347' W 98' max depth. I would recommend, whenever taking GPS numbers from anyone else, that you get numbers from someone else to cross reference before heading out 9 miles into the Gulf (or elsewhere)...

Just an update on this wreck.... (as it hasnt' been sunk yet).

I talked to Mike Gomez at PCDC this weekend about it.

They are still awaiting approval permits for sinking it from the Corp of Engineers. hopefully soon he says.

well.... Fast Forward 2 years from when they were gonna sink this...

and they apparently finally sunk it!

Looks like it's no called Infinity Blu, but went back to it's original name of Red Sea Tug

from Dive Locker News, Red Sea Tug is on the Bottom!

Red Sea Tug is on the Bottom!

I also found another thread on it, but somehow it's in "shows and events" subforum and not Deep Dixie :confused:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/shows-events/290882-sinking-red-sea-tug-panama-city-beach.html

According to other posts, sites, etc... here's the data on her

Sinking Location: Sunk 6 ½ miles from St Andrews pass, near the USS Strength
GPS Coord: N30 00.958 W85 42.003 and/or 30.00.955N 85.42.006W (so far I've seen two sets of numbers for it)
Date Sunk: June 24th, 2009
Ship type : Ocean Going tug
Length: 130'
width/beam: 30 feet wide
Year Built: 1929 in Philadelphia shipyard.
Depth to sand : 72 to 76 feet
Depth to top of wreck: about 35 feet

1245863114_Photo1_redsea008300x225.jpg

1245863114_Photo2_redsea011300x225.jpg

1245863114_Photo3_redsea013300x225.jpg

1245863114_Photo4_redsea015300x225.jpg

Video of her sinking.

Looks to me like after she went down stern first, that the stern hit bottom and held in place while the air vented out of the forward parts of the ship and then she likely settled upright.

Tugboat Becomes Artificial Reef and Wreck Site for Divers
06/24/09 - 04:05 PM

Erin Hawley - bio
ehawley@wmbb.com
click for larger image Panama City Beach, Fla:

After two years of planning, diving enthusiasts now have another underwater area for explorations on Panama City Beach. Several agencies joined together today to sink an old tug boat about six miles off the coast of the “Wreck Capital of the South.”

“This is my first boat I’ve watched sink so this is totally epic and it was awesome, it almost went down like the titanic,” 11-year-old spectator Nathan Bosworth says. His dad is a tug boat driver, so he came along to watch the old tug boat the Red Sea sink to it’s new home at the bottom of the Gulf.

“The coolest thing about it was that it flipped,” Bosworth says. “It flipped a little bit before it started going down. It went down from the bottom first and then it went up and whenever it went down, it went down really fast. It was just awesome.

“The stern of the boat was on the bottom you could tell when it hit the bottom because it hit the bottom, because it stopped,” explains Steve Meadows, a diver with Clear Vis Productions. “You could see the front the bow it went bam then it stopped and then it settled down which is what you want it to do.”

Meadows is one of the first to dive in the new artificial reef. He took underwater video which will be used as training video for beginning divers.

“A lot of the other boats really aren’t terribly safe; this one is,” Meadows says. “It’s going to be an excellent attraction for fish as well as scuba divers.”

“Panama City Beach is well known as a great destination for scuba diving,” explains Dana Lent, with Panama City Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau. “This sinking of the Red Sea gives diving enthusiasts another reason to come to Panama City Beach, another wreck to explore, another way to experience our destination.”

“It’s going to add to the places to go fish, to the attraction of the fish, to the attraction of the divers and the tourists and the tourism community,” says Mike Ramsey, with Panama City Dive Center, “So it’s something very, very nice for all of us to enjoy.”

“It’s an artificial reef and the idea is that all the artificial reef projects are designed to be multi-purpose: to be an artificial reef, to attract fish, and help the fishing industry as well as the scuba diving industry,” Meadows says.

At only 75 feet deep, the wreck site is the first they’re been able to deploy in shallow water in the last ten years.

Nice work Mike it is a beautiful wreck to dive and the good thing is it has buoys on it marking the bow and stern because it is so shallow so EVERYBODY can find it

There are definately enough wrecks out there to keep anyone busy for quite some time, if the charters would get out there.

well sadi Mrbugman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom