New Wreck In Picton!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

advtech:
The problem in Ontario and elsewhere is that no one knows (Government and police) what is enforceable and what is not.

You are right Ian. The law is the same whether you are picking a shiny beer can off the wreck or smashing out a porthole (well they can get you two ways on the porthole - but you know what I mean....)

Obviously, the cops aren't going to press charges over the beer can but there isn't a distinct line that they can use so they don't do anything. Not to mention that the cops don't tend to enforce laws that they can't backup in court. You'd practically need a video of the divers removing something from the wreck and carrying it to the surface and then bust them right there. Unless an artifact has a name on it (like a ship's bell) - how is a prosecutor going to prove that "this porthole cover came off of such and such a wreck" All the diver has to say is that it was bought at a yard sale or flea market....

And frankly, I'd rather see the cops busting drunk boaters who are doing figure 8's around dive flags then arresting divers cleaning up river bottoms.

Your points on the Atlantic are well taken as well.

Ontario Diver:
OK we will go slow....

Yep, clean up dives are illegal too.

Yep, it is not enforced.

Yep, it is a silly law and should be fixed.

I'm not trying to justify, merely explain.

Lets go even slower.

What sections or subsections in the heritage act state that you cannot remove the line? If you cannot post it then it really does not exist. There are no defining distinctions here.
If I am mistaken then please post the section numbers, so as we can all reference them. Thanks

advtech:
The problem in Ontario and elsewhere is that no one knows (Government and police) what is enforceable and what is not.

For those that are too young or too new to remember Bill 13, there is still information listed at the following web site including all the transcripts of the hearings. http://www.vaxxine.com/nda/bill13.htm
If you have a hard time getting to sleep some night, this should help. Ian

Ian,
This is exactly my point. No one knows. But I could still be wrong and don't mind being corrected. I just need to see where it is written.

I do remember Bill13 and the work that went into representing the diving community. It was a worthy effort by all involved.

I have a pretty good idea who the guy was that was kneeling on the deck, seeing I found his knife there yesterday. Cozmo let me know if you want it back. Orange handle and lanyard in tack. Too bad our vis did not match the vis in those pictures.

rcs_scuba:
I have a pretty good idea who the guy was that was kneeling on the deck, seeing I found his knife there yesterday. Cozmo let me know if you want it back. Orange handle and lanyard in tack. Too bad our vis did not match the vis in those pictures.

where did you find the knife, there has been about 30-40 dives on that wreck since those pictures where taken. I would of think something like that would of been found already?

StatusMaker:
where did you find the knife, there has been about 30-40 dives on that wreck since those pictures where taken. I would of think something like that would of been found already?

Off the wreck half between it and the white pale that has the cement in it. The same pail that has the small line almost reaching the surface.

Well reading these 10 pages of posts was time I will never get back.
One thing I have noticed in my many years of diving, is the "holier than thou" nature of some of us. Since diving began their has been somebody who "knows how to do it better" then the rest of us. That's why we have all these different certifying agencies!

I had the great pleasure of diving this wreck 2 years ago,(unfortunately only once) and have video proof of the condition of the wreck then. (less zebra mussels)
I never made it into the debris field so I cannot say what was there if anything, but I can say that there was no "artifacts" to find on the wreck.
My best guess would be that if there was anything remaining after she went down then it was probably removed in the earlier years (70's perhaps, may be long enough to forget about the stripped wreck and move on to more substantial offerings), or the "artifacts" may be on the bottom far away from the wreck site.
In closing I would like to say one more thing.
The letters you use to qualify yourself with ie: DIR, GUE, TDI, IANTD, PADI, NAUI, PDIC, are not what makes a diver good!
A diver is good when he has common sense and knows how to apply it in different situations. So please stop telling me how much better a person/diver you are by telling me about the stupid letters that you feel will make me bow in your presence!

In other words... GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

my .02
Firefox

firefox:
I had the great pleasure of diving this wreck 2 years ago,(unfortunately only once) and have video proof of the condition of the wreck then. (less zebra mussels)
I never made it into the debris field so I cannot say what was there if anything, but I can say that there was no "artifacts" to find on the wreck.
Firefox
We were wondering why the words "Firefox was here - 2002 Y'all!" weree scratched into the deck. Mystery solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom