New Wreck : Sea Dancer (To Be Confirmed) / (Scripps Canyon — 235 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With the help of some friends, we have located and have a preliminary ID on a massive new wreck off Scripps Canyon in San Diego. As far as we know, nobody has been on this wreck which is hard to believe given the size and location (but it is relatively deep). I'm estimating the ship at 85+ feet long and it was some sort of sailing vessel but also looked to be configured for fishing. It is a bit of an odd one.

On the second dive, I spent a little time trying to scrub off barnacles and growth to get an ID from the name at the stern. I got close and we think it is named "Sea Dancer" but we aren't 100% sure.

The complete post along with a ton of photos is at:

Here is a quick pic of the front of the ship:

Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 9.55.31 AM.png

Regards,

- brett

Very impressive pics and looks like an awesome dive!

Thanks, John! If I get the chance, I'd like to build a photogrammetry model of that wreck but it is a bit deep and would require quite a bit of time given the masts, etc.

- brett

What material is she made of? Any guess how long she has been on the bottom?

My guess is a combination of steel & fiberglass. I would estimate less than 10 years and maybe even less than 5 so relatively recently.

- brett

Sailing yacht that big and with (sport) fishing capability sounds like a charter, no? Should have been something in the news about her going down?

Sailing yacht that big and with (sport) fishing capability sounds like a charter, no? Should have been something in the news about her going down?

You would think so...but I haven't found anything yet....

- brett

Back
Top Bottom