Question New XL4 with heat exchanger using non-Apeks hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I accept that there are work arounds but to me it's a fail. I struggle accepting the number of tools listed in service manual needed (?) to service it and now with the addition of a stupid nut resulting in one having to either modify the nut or find a hose that will fit.

This is not a reg I'd want to take to some far flung location. For me it's a hard pass🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Fail🫠

I hoarded the old XL4s.

As Simon has lost his ****, does that mean we should give him ****?

Add this to the host of reasons I no longer have ANY interest in Apeks regs.
Are you kidding me!!?
After the Scubapro splined nut, could anything be worse? This comes close. At least with Scubapro, you could grab a pair of pliers and wrench the hose off.

But with the XL4, it's even worse! To reassemble the reg, the case is so fragile you have to mount the barrel in a vise to attach the hose, so you don't put any torque on the thin plastic. They even acknowledge that with their replaceable alignment inserts that keep the barrel and lever vertical.

Just add this to the HP poppet failures that were never acknowledged, but maybe mysteriously went away?

And maybe next add the diaphragms that start leaking in cold water just around the 2-year mark. Another credit to metal-to-metal diaphragm clamping instead of a defined torque value.

No, Apeks is no longer an interest item for me.
I replaced the DS4's on my JJ-CCR with Poseidon XStreams. Jes' sayin...

Add this to the host of reasons I no longer have ANY interest in Apeks regs.
Are you kidding me!!?
After the Scubapro splined nut, could anything be worse? This comes close. At least with Scubapro, you could grab a pair of pliers and wrench the hose off.

But with the XL4, it's even worse! To reassemble the reg, the case is so fragile you have to mount the barrel in a vise to attach the hose, so you don't put any torque on the thin plastic. They even acknowledge that with their replaceable alignment inserts that keep the barrel and lever vertical.

Just add this to the HP poppet failures that were never acknowledged, but maybe mysteriously went away?

And maybe next add the diaphragms that start leaking in cold water just around the 2-year mark. Another credit to metal-to-metal diaphragm clamping instead of a defined torque value.

No, Apeks is no longer an interest item for me.
I replaced the DS4's on my JJ-CCR with Poseidon XStreams. Jes' sayin...

And to think I used to be a fan boi.

I am in the same camp 100%.

Update: I found a 56cm rubber Scubapro hose with a hex connector which fits the XL4.

IMG_9736.jpeg

The point-to-point span (OD) of a hex nut is about
1.15469 times the "size" measured across the flats.
So for a 17mm hose attachment with zero rounding of the hex points, the OD of the nut is 19.63mm. If the nut @abrmy measured was a 17mm nut, his measured 19.4mm looks about right after machining.

Depending upon manufacturer, I've seen nut sizes all over the place, from 9/16" to 15mm to 5/8" to 17mm.

well I want to thank you all for this information...
I was considering picking up a set of APE/K's xtx50(2) and xl4+(2) and (2)DS4 1st stages to add to my (single set) rig ups as secondary and tertiary options to diverite

I have a bad habit of traveling with triplicate rigs ( three of everything ) + 2 dry bags of parts [get screwed on a liveaboard in the phillipines once]

finally my Aqualung XIV has died and HOG well it was not as "resilient as the XIV"

But if needed I can get parts in Japan and keep the infectious scubapro taxed gear and reluctantly buy another mk17/g250/g260. The scubapro smugness is what hurts the most...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom