New York Bombings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May the injured get well quick;
May those whose earthly journey has ended, rest in peace with the Lord;
May the children of those departed never forget their Mom or Dad that did not come home;
May the perpetrators rot in hell.
May the leaders of our country do what's right.

We nuked Japan when 2200+ were killed in Pearl Harbor. This is shaping up to be 6 times worse, and civilians to boot. May our terrible swift sword take these people out before millions more are killed.

Makes being laid off seem insignificant. God Bless America as she walks through the valley of death.

Heard from a little bird friend

All military bases are at DefCon Delta indefinatley.
Naval ships are heading to sea. ( the Enterprise was on her way from the Persian Gulf to the Atlantic - She has turned around) Border patrol and Immigration & customs are at State 1.

Mario, I don't think JDB was telling you how to feel. I know what you've gone through and you have my respect, sympathy, and my ear if you want to talk. I think that it was a warning to temper rash action with concern. If the US wishes to regain the moral high ground, IMO, She will have to act quickly and agressively; but with a clear and consistant moral purpose. I think that the two of you are closer in attitude than you think. I have my own opinions from my army days,but I'll hold them tight for now. (But since I commanded a troop of tanks, you can probably guess)

The toughest part of today was explaining "why" to my kids. I still don't have a good answer.

OD,

That was the hardest thing also, explain how and why it happened to my kids, and they are grown.

ID

I just heard on the news that there are People calling from the wreckage.

I wanted to take my child to the twin towers and see the sights and now I get to explain that he can't go anymore...

I do not like the tragic lost of innocent life

I spent most of my day re-imaging PCs at a private school that had suffered a viral attack over the weekend. When the news was "leaked" to me in hushed tones, I wondered why.

Later that day as I came from the church back to the school, the Sysadmin stopped me from saying anything in front of the kids. They were "sheltering" these grade schoolers (thru 8th grade) from reality. Being a consultant, I honored their wishes, but it made me really think. Who are we fooling?

I want my son and daughter FULLY informed of the horror that occurred in NYC. I want them to know that fear deep in their bellies, and to maybe sleep a little less easy tonight. Not that I wish them ill, but that I believe that the un-varnished truth leads to a much stronger and well adjusted kid. More than the fear, I want my kids to burn with a fierce anger (not hatred) at the perpetrators of this heinous act. I want them to able to shout at the top of their lungs... "I'm mad as hell, and I am NOT going to take this ANYMORE!!!" and really mean it. I want them to feel true patriotism... not the cowardly kind that hides behind a terrorist, but the kind that stands up to the bullies of this world.

I want them passionate about their freedoms, and to not take them for granted. I want them to be jealous of their rights and ever vigilant for those that would take them away for any reason. No, I surely don't want them sheltered from today. I want them ready to feel and act on those feelings for the rest of their lives.

:fire:

Many of the my thoughts have been expressed in previous posts. I don't understand how anyone can take pride in these actions. A blatant attack on innocent people. Sure it was a major landmark, and a point was certainly made... but innocent people.

I work about 5 miles from Dulles, which is about 45 miles from DC. Things here are no where near the state of NYC, but still pretty tense. We were evacuated from our building at about 11AM due to a plane circling over Dulles. There was gridlock throughout DC, and the beltway was in a semi-rush hour mode at about noon. Most school systems closed around the area... so a lot of people were trying to reach their children. All major highways into DC were closed, as well as roads around the Pentagon. The Metro (subway), trains all stopped servicing major stations in the downtown area including the airport and the Pentagon. All service to land lines and cell phones were completely tied up from 9 to 1PM. This evening, shopping center parking lots are vacant, restaurant closed, and also noticed that religious centers were fortified with added security.

Closer to downtown... sirens wailing, snipers on roof tops... Fighter planes and airships flying cover over DC. The latest reports I caught are 800 dead in the Pentagon.

On a more human note... while in the gridlock people were offering rides out of the city to stranded people. Drivers blared their radios so people on the sidewalks could hear what was going on...

Sorry to be so brief... its been a long day. My girfriend works for the government and often ventures downtown... she was two blocks from the White House this morning and got a birds eye view of the situation. We weren't in touch until about 1PM so it was a little stressful. And eventhough I've been glued to the TV since 2PM... I'm still in a little shock... and a little worried about what else could happen.

Wish I was diving somewhere. :-}

I feel like I'm really late in posting here - I've been online, checking the boards and news agencies websites all day and just didn't know what to say.

I found out about it just after the first plane crashed into the WTC and have been in shock and glued to the news ever since. It took me all morning to phone around, email and finally find out that all my friends in NYC are ok, unharmed. So many of them saw it all happen from the street or their balconies.

In Bangkok everyone is really quiet today, thinking about the global effect these attacks will have and are mentally sending their commiserations to the families of those who did not make it.

This is a horrific thing to have happened and we can all only imagine how forceful the repercussions will be. My thoughts and best wishes go out to all those in NYC and Washington, and indeed to you all in the US.

It's very difficult to know what to say at a time like this - this is a tragedy that is going to be with us for ever - and all the previous posts sum up how I particularily (and the rest of the civilized world) feel. ;-0
Once current suspicions, as to the perpetrators of this heinous act, have been confirmed a swift surgical stike is needed. (I'll volunteer but I think my lack of military training would be a hinderance rather than a help.)
Tony Blair said in a statement yesterday that this was not only a terrorist attack against the US but also against the entire democratic free world! He's quite right and I hope that the entire democratic free world remembers that when the time comes to back the US in their/your reprisal. :fire:

Again, my prayers are with you all and if anybody knows how I can help from the UK (besides donation, that has been done) please let me know. (gaylekipling@yahoo.com)

Best wishes and God bless,

Gayle

The thoughts of all Australians are with all the people of the USA following these outrageous and cowardly terrorist acts.
Make sure you get the bastards!

vmf

Murdering innocent civilians is not acceptible under any condition...

This is a cowardly act that is unforgivable...

What might be the motive for such a political statement? Regardless, it gains nothing...

Our hearts are thoughts with the families, Saudi Arabia is still in shock from the madness that occured.

Back
Top Bottom