New Yorkers - where do you go diving locally?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a native New Yorker living in SoCal for the past 5 years.

I may have to relocate back to NYC because of a job. Where do you go diving locally? I am spoil by Socal diving, and this is one of several reasons that's making think twice about coming back to NY.

For me, it's Beach 8 on Long Island. But I've heard great things about Dutch Springs in PA...!

I'm a native New Yorker living in SoCal for the past 5 years.

I may have relocate back to NYC because of a job. Where do you go diving locally? I am spoil by Socal diving, and this is one of several reasons that's making think twice about going back to NY.

Dude, you have GOT to check out this forum!!!

Dive NY - ScubaBoard

Beach 8th and Dutch are mostly training spots. The actual diving is pretty mediocre.

The Easter Dive Boat Assn website lists many of the local boats.

Default EDBA Eastern Dive Boat Association Set the Standards718 332 9574

The Eagles nest is a great boat but is not a part of the EBDA.

The Eagle's Nest - New York's only luxury scuba diving boat specializing in wreck diving, offering daytrips, live aboard trips, night dives and technical diving.

The Jeannie II is the closest decent sized boat in the 5 boros.

Jeanne-II NY DIVE BOAT TO WRECKS-Eastern Dive Boat Association Vessel EDBA USMC.

Beach 8th and Dutch are mostly training spots. The actual diving is pretty mediocre.

The Easter Dive Boat Assn website lists many of the local boats.

Default EDBA Eastern Dive Boat Association Set the Standards718 332 9574

The Eagles nest is a great boat but is not a part of the EBDA.

The Eagle's Nest - New York's only luxury scuba diving boat specializing in wreck diving, offering daytrips, live aboard trips, night dives and technical diving.

The Jeannie II is the closest decent sized boat in the 5 boros.

Jeanne-II NY DIVE BOAT TO WRECKS-Eastern Dive Boat Association Vessel EDBA USMC.

Diving in NY isn't bad. The beach dives mentioned are mediocre & silty, but have some interesting local characters not unlike Steinbeck's Mack and the Boys except with local flavor and a bit more on the dangerous side:depressed:

The Eastern Dive Boat Association is a quasi-collaborative group of charter boat owners with standards. The above mentioned Eagle's Nest is a nice boat (physically), but has a history of maverick behavior. Like shooting migratory and local birds with rifles on offshore trips. :shakehead:

If you happen to have only the subway - the Jeannie II can actually be accessed via the subway! If you took an afternoon trip during the summer and wheeled your gear there you can actually go from last stop to the pier. Getting a ride back to NYC isn't too much of a problem as Manhattan-bound divers usually have extra room. The great thing about taking the subway and walking to the Jeannie II pier are the many fabulous Russian stores/eateries along the way, wonderful Coney Island if you feel like a nice walk down the boardwalk and Knapp st which has some local Italian favorites like Randazzo's, or the well-known Jordan's Lobster dock.

As per the diving - check out Bill Reddan's website. He's one of the most coolest, saltiest and most experienced East Coast Captains/working divers around. I've added a link to an Outside mag. article about Bill calling him a "raconteur" of diving. There are also videos on Bill's site. Whenever I get a chance to dive NY and need to do it near Manhattan I go visit Bill.

http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/200003/200003nypdscuba5.html

X

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom