New Zealand: Divers swim for three hours after boat sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is one, but it functions on the older 121.5 MHz frequency that is being phased out and will become non-functioning soon.

Sea Marshall Personal Location Beacon (epirb)-Divers

I haven't personally found an oil-filled version of the 406 MHz EPIRBs but I'm sure they'll be available at some time.

.....yeah, that's the one I found a while back...it's exactly what I'm looking for, other than the 121 MZ frequency being phased out and no GPS......so I think I'll try to hold out for the 'modern' 406 MHZ EPIRB/GPS combo that's oil-filled...I'd like the elegant simplicity of that combination.

Did you get a pic of that attached...?

I didn't, this is a picture of the unit

10008.gif

It has a integral raised notch on the back where you can slide a zip tie through and ziptie it to anything. I had it on my right shoulder webbing, sat at shoulder level.... in the water I didn't even notice it was there.

Looks like it is the old 121.5 MHz standard, but as long as the chase boats ( in this case the Aggressor and the skiff) have the receiver then it doesn't really matter. However for travel I imagine you would want one that works on the most common or newer standard... or ideally both!

These two divers were locals out in their own boat I think, but all liveaboards should have systems like Geoff used. Expensive for a diver to own, but cheap for a boat that goes out every week - not much to add to the trip cost.

Official advice here was dont get EPIRBs. They have more false call outs and wasted time due to those than anything else. Great if diving in very remote locations (Galapagos etc) but for populated areas they can be more trouble than worth.

That's without considering the massive bulk in taking one diving.

As is usually the case it would appear only half a story here - no mention of VHF or DSC equipment on the boat for example.

I didn't, this is a picture of the unit

10008.gif

It has a integral raised notch on the back where you can slide a zip tie through and ziptie it to anything. I had it on my right shoulder webbing, sat at shoulder level.... in the water I didn't even notice it was there.

Looks like it is the old 121.5 MHz standard, but as long as the chase boats ( in this case the Aggressor and the skiff) have the receiver then it doesn't really matter. However for travel I imagine you would want one that works on the most common or newer standard... or ideally both!

...the tech specs on this unit indicate 'waterproof to 10 meters/33 ft.'...I find it hard to believe this unit is appropriate for scuba !

...the tech specs on this unit indicate 'waterproof to 10 meters/33 ft.'...I find it hard to believe this unit is appropriate for scuba !

Well I don't know if this is the exact model, but the pictures look identical to the unit I had. And it was used down to 40m without any issues.

Well I don't know if this is the exact model, but the pictures look identical to the unit I had. And it was used down to 40m without any issues.

Hi Geoff,

I've been searching high and low...there are NO EPIRB's that I can find that are rated below 33 ft./ 2 ATM......other than that 1 'obsolete; 121 MHZ 'oil filled' unit mentioned previously..... I'm at a loss how the official 'specs' rate them all to 33 ft., yet numerous times I hear of liveaboards issuing them to divers...and you took yours down to 130' ....something's not making sense !

Karl

...the best I can find right now is a McMurdo unit : Fastfind Plus GPS PLB (-20°C Battery)...which has an aluminum dive canister option, the canister is rated to 500' and the lowest price I've seen today just for the 'can' is about $ 225.00.

Karl

Hi Geoff,

I've been searching high and low...there are NO EPIRB's that I can find that are rated below 33 ft./ 2 ATM......other than that 1 'obsolete; 121 MHZ 'oil filled' unit mentioned previously..... I'm at a loss how the official 'specs' rate them all to 33 ft., yet numerous times I hear of liveaboards issuing them to divers...and you took yours down to 130' ....something's not making sense !

Karl
I'm guessing they want to limit their liabilities even tho the product has a history of performing better than specs.

Hi Geoff,

Karl

My guess is that they simply perform better than the offical spec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom