Newbie advice in monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove the breakwater wall today. It was pretty choppy in the morning but it did calm down by the afternoon. Viz was around 10-15 around by the gate at the wall. About 20-25 at the end of the wall (and a s**tload of sea lions out there).

Getting in and out was bit trickier today that usual. Some 3-4 ft waves were rolling in. I didn't see anybody getting knocked over but it sure was more adventurous than normal.

I'm back! Glad I didn't end up having to subject anybody to my noobie trials and tribulations :)

The weather in Monterey is beautiful today.. hardly a cloud in the sky. The vis was about 15 ft. Entry was not too bad, the occassional larger swell, but mostly flat. We only did one dive along the wall and the surface swim coupled with carrying the gear back across the lawn tuckered my wife out so we didn't get to do a second (but I made her promise we'd do 2 tanks next time). Saw a group of white perch and a striped perch. Also saw some very tiny fish that were flat and lying on the sand - they blended in exactly, but I got close enough that they moved so I was able to spot them. Not sure what they were...

We inadvertantly got to practice some of our OW skills. My tank came loose as I was surface swimming down the wall. So I removed my BCD and strapped it back in. Fun stuff! Didn't figure it out until I got back to shore, but we didn't strap them in correctly in the first place.. won't make that mistake again. Second skill was my wife's weight belt came loose in about 40fsw along the wall..so she basically had to remove it and put it back on.

Other than that, she was under weighted and I was overweighted, but we'll get that dialed in next time. I had to tug her down the first 10 feet before she was able to get neutral bouyancy. Speaking of bouyancy, it's alot different with this much neoprene on, but we were able to get the hang of it pretty quickly. Just gotta really pay attention to depth, because once the bouyancy is off, it only gets worse as you descend or ascend more - positive feedback loop, yikes...

I definitely need more practice... Any tips for putting fins on in the water? I could hardly reach my feet with the thickness of the wetsuit..

-Jason

I'm glad you had a good safe dive...sounds like you had a blast.

The small camoflouged fishies were Sand dabs
here's a good resoure for looking up the local Monterey creatures The Metridium Fields by Clinton Bauder...

For putting on the fins try the figure 4 technique...

When I started diving heavy surf Like Monastery Beach and La Jolla Shores, I got the spring straps fotr my fins. I can't reccomend them enough for their durability and how easy they are to slip on and off. Makes you safer too since you spend less time in the surf zone.

I also dove the breakwater this morning, I was the guy with the huge camera system.

See you later!
John

jarhed:
I was the guy with the huge camera system.

Yes that was a BIG camera, my dad and I were talking about you when I was getting ready to go about how crazy that person was. :11:

I dove Ballbusters, 3 Kings & right outside the aquarium. Little bit of surge but good viz. I got to see my first wolf eel. Also found the biggest crab I have ever seen. No harbor seals this weekend though. :( I love it when they come and play.

I agree about the spring straps on the fins. I love mine!!! Plus the dive masters on the boats do as well. They are easier all the way around. No adjusting no clips to break etc.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom