Newbie - first snorkel attempt: Hawaii Dec 2010-Jan 2011 - Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian99999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone!
I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
I am as new as they come - I LOVE swimming, but I have never snorkeled before, but I am arranging to take a lesson here at home before I come to Hawaii this winter.

I want to try snorkeling, or possibly SNUBA while I am there, from December 30 2010 to January 13, 2011. I will be on an inter-island cruise for the first week (I should have enough time to try snorkeling in Oahu one day before the cruise, then Kona for one day, and Maui for one day - but I am tied to the Pride of America schedule for ports of call...). Then, I am going to Kauai for 5 days, so I might try it there, too.

Any recommendations of the best tours, etc. would be great, and for the best spots to try it (bearing in mind the cruise ship limitations, which unfortunately rule out night dives, etc.). Also, I suspect I will have to deal with motion sickness (although I don't know for sure yet - but it's a pretty good bet that I would get it, because my mom gets it really badly).

I think I will try to get to Hanauma Bay in Oahu while I am there, to try snorkeling, but further recommendations on the following would be most appreciated:

On my one day in Kona, should I try snorkeling in Pawai Bay (Body Glove) or Kealakekua Bay (I think it's through FairWind)? I can't decide...
Or should I try something else, entirely in Kona?

Is Molokini Crater worth a try? I had decided to do this, but now I have read several posts that state there aren't as many fish around there as there used to be...
I want to see lots of fishies, and turtles and dolphins, etc., too, if possible (so long as the tour doesn't hurt the dolphins - if it does, I would just take a tour that didn't disturb them). Do you have any snorkel tour operator recommendations???

Should I try booking any of these excursions myself, instead of going with a cruise ship based tour?

What do you all think about SNUBA? Any recommendations about companies that provide that?

As an aside, I also might like to try one of the shark cage expeditions on Oahu (assuming this doesn't hurt the sharks???).... I think sharks are awesome, particularly if I have a grid of metal bars strategically placed between me and their teeth! Hahaha! Any recommendations on that would be great too. I saw 2 different companies offering it: North Shore Shark Expeditions and Hawaii Shark Encounters.
Any thoughts?
All advice is most welcome.
Cheers!
Claire.

I can only testify to the Kona spots, I live about 30min north of there. I take it the Fair Wind is booking through your cruise ship, if so it should be worth the effort (not much else in Kona I would recommend). They snorkel Kealakekua Bay, which is some of the best snorkeling to be found in the state. I have never been on the FW, but I have crossed paths a few times, the only issue is it is a big boat and can be busy.

The folks on a snorkel excursion boat will be well versed in showing you how to snorkel, but if you are a good swimmer you will not need much help to get the idea. Just have them show you how to clear the snorkel after a dive.

I do not know anything about Pawai bay, but it is hard to go wrong along this coastline. I suspect you would enjoy any of the options.

You might consider getting a mask ahead of time if you are goung to make good use of it. Keep you from using whatever the rental place has on hand. You can take your time and get a good fit, maybe try it in a local pool before you go. It is the one piece of gear that tends to cause the most trouble.

Hope this helps!

Honolulu Scuba Company runs SNUBA..... start with them if Oahu is your first island. Also, it may be worth it to get your own maks, fins and dry snorkel and practice in the pool for a few hours at home. Can take some anxiety out of the experience IMHO.

G

PS.... Always price shop before. Cruise ships usually mark up tours. Once you see how awesome snorkeling is try a Discover Scuba Dive. Shark Cage Excursion is a good one on the North Shore but you should be comfy breathing out of a snorkel to get the most out of it..... and no, they don't hurt the sharks.

All the best....

G

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
I will write more later (I am at work right now, so can't slack off too much! LOL!) :D
Claire.

I have not been there in years, but Hanauma Bay Park had amazing snorkeling in a very relaxed and easy environment. The snorkeling behind the reef is very protected. Lots to see.

Hanauma Bay Park, Oahu

Maybe some of the HI residents can comment on current conditions.

Hi everyone!
Any thoughts?
All advice is most welcome.
Cheers!
Claire.

I had a great time with these pros last month, first class service:

Hawaii Nautical Tour Secrets! The Complete Guide to Oahu Snorkel Tours!

Not scuba certified? Hawaii Nautical offers a non-scuba-certified, one tank, Discovery Dive so no one needs to miss out on the fun!

Westside Dive & Tackle

Best snorkeling on Oahu Kahe point/Electric Beach, fish, turtles, dolphins. Look in up on youtube. All snorkeling from a boat.

Skip Hanauma bay...too crowded, limited parking, long walk, limited fish (no feeding of fish), no turtles.

Last but not least...bring a wetsuit! Even a thin wetsuit 2-3mm thick, I had a 2mm and it was still cold...and you are going in the winter? Wetsuits are at the end of summer sale right now. Have fun!

Thanks for the additional advice, herbdp and RPdiver!
I had heard Hanauma Bay was a good place to snorkel, but I can see how it might be getting more crowded as the years go by, etc... (I was planning to snorkel Molokini Crater, originally, when I am on Maui, but I keep hearing the same things - that it's really crowded. Plus, I hear that the coral and fish aren't what they used to be - so now I am looking at other options).
RPdiver, I will look into Oahu Kahe point, and the tour you mentioned. :)
I am glad you told me about the wetsuit - I hadn't really thought about needing one in Hawaii!

And thanks again, Acooper and Scottitheduck - I am going to do Fairwind in Kealakekua if I can manage it - I have to book it myself, and get an early tender from the ship, but it looks like it's not too hard to arrange, so long as you have a taxi arranged for the a.m. - I am also definitely doing the shark cage tour! I will look into Honolulu Scuba Company, too. Yes, I am planning to buy myself a good prescription mask, a snorkel, etc., before I go - that way I have lots of time to practice! I have arranged a snorkel class/discover scuba class for next thursday with a local dive shop! I am getting really excited about it all, and my vacation is still 5 months away! Hahahaha!
Claire

Claire,

One option that hasn't been discussed is doing the Open Water Course. Your local dive shop should be able to set you up with some pool sessions and the book work so that when you get to Hawaii you would just need to do the 4 Open Water Dives.

It sounds to me (and correct me if I am wrong) that you are a water enthusiast. Why not go all the way and get your cert card?

Just a thought..... considering you do have 5 months!

All the best,

G

Lots of good posts here, so I'll just try to fill in a few quick gaps.

Molokini, even if it isn't what it used to be, is still a lot better than most other spots for diving/snorkeling. Unless you are a fish aficianado or former resident returning, you'll strain to notice what's missing. What you do get is possible exposure to various pelagic critters and even a possibility to see whales in the winter. Molokini shouldn't be shrugged off by any means.

As far as Oahu snorkeling goes, the best spots are determinate on the conditions. Hanauma Bay is really nice in the winter when you can get outside of the reef. The inner reef has been trampled by the aforementioned busloads of people. In the summer the dominant swells are from the south, churning up the water at Hanauma Bay and making the reef channels a little hazardous at times. Therefore, the best summer spots are usually west or north (Electric Beach and Shark's Cove). Both of these are easily done from shore with the big difference being that Shark's Cove has a shallow area that is suitable for just about any level while Electric Beach is barren until one reaches about 10 feet deep.

Back
Top Bottom