Newbie from Poland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek and Stiwi - as far as I know there is no such thing as "transit" visa. Which form the US point of view is understandable - at least these US airports I saw don't have "transit" sections - so once you have landed on the Us ground you can leave the airport - that means stay in the US. Even with the transit visa if such would exist.
Normally when going to any other places they would stop you at European airports - my friend was going to Dominikana through Fraknfurt with landing in Florida. As she didn't have the US visa she was admited to enter the plane on the Frankfurt airport.
Mania

mania:
Normally when going to any other places they would stop you at European airports - my friend was going to Dominikana through Fraknfurt with landing in Florida. As she didn't have the US visa she was admited to enter the plane on the Frankfurt airport.
You mean she wasn't admitted onto the plane in Frankfurt, right?

You and Sebastian may be right... But it just doesn't seem right to charge for a full $100 tourist visa, when all you're going to do is transfer in Miami.

I mean, traveling to the Caribbean is still international. So you wouldn't be leaving the international terminal. And you should be able to get from one gate to the other without going through Customs and Immigration -- and it's only at that point that you actually "enter" the U.S.

But all that is, is logic. That certainly wouldn't work at a huge airport like New York's JFK, where each major airline has its own separate terminal. God, I hate that place.

Anyway, I really don't know. I'll see if my friends at the Consulate can answer.

--Marek

I hate JFK as much as you do. It's the least "user friendly" airport I've ever seen.
Marek - I'm absolutly positive there is no such thing as US transit visa (easy to imagine thousands of Cubans taking "transit" and never leaving the US.
Mania

Mania and Sebastian--

I just checked with someone I know at the Visa Section of the Consulate. You're absolutely correct; there used to be some kind of transit visas, but no more... you'd have to get a full $100 tourist visa, even if you're just transferring flights in Miami or Atlanta.

On the other hand, if you ask for and receive a 10-year visa, for the same price, it might be worth it for future travel...

Sorry.

--Marek

Yeah, I told you. You are guys making things more and more difficult. On the other hand - it's our own - Poles - fault.
One of my friends that used to work as a chief of consular section in Warsaw once told me - when I look at the faces of those queuing in front of the US Embassy I already know they are not going to the Us to visit their dying aunt... So it doesn’t take much of my effort to deny the right to enter the US.
Honestly - I think more or less the same everytime I pass the embassy on Piekna Street.
Mania

Marek K:
Coangratulations, Sebastian!

Where did you do your OW dives? How was it? Temperature? Visibility?

Thanks. I did it on J. Narie (one of the clearest polish lakes). It was pretty cold. Water temp on the surface was around 20 C. however below thermocline (which was on 6metres) it dropped to 7 C. Visibility around 2metres, below thermocline the same. So it was veeery cold and unpleasant to stay below thermocline. To be honest after this experience I think I will never dive again in polish lakes, dark, cold and nothing special to watch.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

stiwi:
Thanks. I did it on J. Narie (one of the clearest polish lakes). It was pretty cold. Water temp on the surface was around 20 C. however below thermocline (which was on 6metres) it dropped to 7 C. Visibility around 2metres, below thermocline the same. So it was veeery cold and unpleasant to stay below thermocline. To be honest after this experience I think I will never dive again in polish lakes, dark, cold and nothing special to watch.
Never heard of that lake. Up in Mazury?

Mania can tell you better, but I understand that things warm up a bit by late summer. I hope.

I don't think much can be done about that thermocline... but there should be something to see above it, though!

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom