Newbie going to Punta Cana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gwrrawing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am brand new to diving, just got my open water, and working on my advanced, hopefully I will be done by months end. I am going to Punta Cana, in the Dominican Republic next month and will be diving for a few days. Does anyone have any suggestions for my dives. I would like to do a cave dive, and a wreck, but also see some of the other areas. Also, I would like any personnel recommendations on dive shops.
Thanks for any assistance rendered. :D

I just got back from Punta Cana a couple weeks ago. I only did a couple dives, so my knowledge of the potential diving there is limited. I was at the Majestic Colonial resort and did the diving through their shop. All of the diving we did was from very small boats (not zodiacs) that you would backroll from. There was a nearly fully submerged wreck close off the coast that was a interesting wreck dive for the type of wreck that it was...a newer, cargo wreck if memory serves from 2 weeks ago. The reef diving was a little less than spectacular where I went. There was simply not much life at all and the reef was not very alive in general. I may be tainted by the fact that I did just get back from the Galapagos Islands about a month ago too and will now be forced to compare all new diving to the incredible experience I had down there. There is a cave located to the northern end of the eastern coast. It is inland and fresh water, I believe. I was asked if I wanted to go dive the cave with a group that was visiting from Eastern Europe because I had an more advanced c-card with me (the highest card with me was Rescue...though I have the Master Diver rating [for what its worth]). Caves are generally for more advanced divers and those with special training in cave diving. It is not generally considered acceptable or safe for those without this training to dive caves. I am pretty sure that the cave is actually a cave and not a cavern which means that you have no direct vertical ascent in the event of an emergency. I did not end up diving the cave because of time constraints though I don't really know if you would be able to find a dive shop that would even be willing to take you into the cave given your newness. I wish I had more specifics I could offer of where and through who to dive. It just hit me the name of the wreck I dove...the Astron. You can check out videos on youTube of people diving it if you want to see what it would be like. It is pretty large and still very intact with a very large propeller still very visible and interesting to see. I hope something in there is helpful, though I imagine there is others on this forum who can offer better and more specific information.

Above the surface:
YouTube - SHIPWRECK IN PUNTA CANA

Below the surface:
YouTube - Astron

Last edited:
Thanks Ckeeko,

Any response helps. Apparently the cave dive I am doing is only 20 feet down, than a pull through rope up to a internal cavern so it sounds safe enough I hope. I will look at the Astron you tube so thanks for that. I am defineatly new, but my instructor is trying to get me fully certified and ready for what I am going to try and see. :D

Any further comment on your experiences in Punta Cana: I'm headed there in early 2011....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom