Newbie needing Advise Speargun or polespear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mckinness

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Still new to diving but I love to hunt! Where to start. Spear or gun, what length and brand, or Should I focus on just honing dive skills? Would like to start low buck to see if I like it. Any suggestions.

I started out with a JBL 6' spear pole. Cheap and lets you hone your hunting and stalking skills. If you like it then I'd move up to a JBL, AB Biller, Sea Hornet speargun. Decent guns for the money. Also check out Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Powered by vBulletin for a lot of good spearing info.

Where are you planning on diving and what are you planning on targeting? Spearguns are designed for different types and styles of shooting, just like firearms.

get the cheap spear, you will get hooked and you will have something to use to fill the cooler while you save up for a gun, plus you'll be able to learn a lot about how you feel under the water and what you like to be doing so you can better tailor your eventualy gun to your hunting style and prey.

welcome to the addiction

I think if ur going to be diving you should use a gun and not a pole spear. Because with a pole spear u stock the fish and get close to it but when u dive u make some much extra noise.

I usually take my gun AND pole spear. I like using the pole spear with a paralyzer tip for flounder, just easier to get that way in my opinion. As far as which gun, something in the range of 48 is a good start with 2 bands on it. If you only need one band use just one, but it is nice to have 2 if you need them. Also you can free-shaft or use a line. There are so many choices in guns, it depends on how much you want to spend.

A small speargun and hunting in skinny water is a good start if you're new to the sport.

Shooting a fish is not a big deal, knowing what to do and what not to do to properly (specially with scuba) is.

Best of luck, it's a lot of fun when done properly.

Still new to diving but I love to hunt! Where to start. Spear or gun, what length and brand, or Should I focus on just honing dive skills? Would like to start low buck to see if I like it. Any suggestions.

Hunting above water, you match conditions with the prey. . . deer fall to handguns, 30-30's and 7 mm mags. Your conditions, distance, toughness of the prey, your skill, will make the choice. Underwater conditions, and the prey will direct you to the right tool.

Even though you are new to diving, you can learn to hunt without a gun in your hands. Before you get in the water, learn what fish are legal to hunt where you live (wildlife departments) Learn if there are good eating fish where you dive, and size limits, and seasons. As you learn Scuba skils, you'll learn to "see" further, when you can recognize silhouettes, Learn to not swim straight at a fish, but learn to swim at an angle to their path. Don't stare at a fish, but keep your head pointed away from your prey, and move your eyes. When you're ready with a speargun, learn to shoot to your side, Fish fear another predators facing them but not a predator facing away from them.

Every hour of the day fish change to suit the conditions of light, temperature, food supply, and many things we'll never understand, ( O2 ?) Lake or ocean, begin the dive day by going to a greater depth than the bait fish are running, then slowly approach your prey from below. A freightened fish will try to run to depth if they can. If the threat comes from deeper, they will hesitate a little longer, before they flee.

The GUN, oh yes. . . that's what you wanted to know about. When you know if you're hunting small soft skinned fish, choose something cheap. If you're hunting big fish 20 feet away you'll need to spend more money. I hunt freshwater lakes, I'm hunting flathead catfish, occasionally up to 50 lbs. And range is usually under 10 feet. And my current gun is a Riffe, metaltech size "0" (short ) with replaceable spearpoint. I use a spinner barb, rock point from JBL that a machinist rethreads for the Riffe shaft. And if there isn't someone offended already, I'm lazy and use a springy clip from the speargun to the shaft. That's the way I like it, and every diver here will do it differently.

....... As you learn Scuba skils, you'll learn to "see" further, when you can recognize silhouettes, Learn to not swim straight at a fish, but learn to swim at an angle to their path. Don't stare at a fish, but keep your head pointed away from your prey, and move your eyes. When you're ready with a speargun, learn to shoot to your side, Fish fear another predators facing them but not a predator facing away from them.

One of the best posts here to teach new hunters stalking techniques. You summed up what many of us have said before. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Thanks Mudhole!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom