Newbie outsider with a strange story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Gang,

Thanks for the welcome and the great comments.

Well, now that your foot is in the door, you can't just leave it at that. Tell us about your writing experience. Have you other published novels? Do you already have a deal with a publisher? Are you really Steven King?

Well Rick, unfortunately the answer to your questions is no, no and no--although I'm not sure Steven King is Steven King and he would probably agree.

Aside from the handful of short stories I published when I was in college (where I was a budding English teacher who was going to write the great American novel before, tragically, I was kidnapped and raised by wolves at a municipal tennis facility), I haven't dabbled in fiction since. So, this is possibly an exercise in spitting at cross purposes to the atmospheric disturbance, or...

It's Clive Cuttler!!!!

LOL! Did you do that on purpose? (It's Cussler, of course.)

I got curious and did a search on Clive Cuttler. It appears he owns a keelboat named Dotty Dot which apparently isn't very fast as they came in 26th in a 27 boat race. No information on any action/adventure novels he may have written.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache....htm+"clive+cuttler"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

From a reading-diver's POV, the most important aspect in reading fiction with diving references is that the characters accurately represent the diving community's attitude. We're a mixed bunch for sure. But there is a certain common personality thread that connects us all, and if you can capture that in your writing, you done good.

Good observation Rick, and I will do my best. I have to admit though, that the diving aspect of the story is actually a very small part of it. It is however a very important part.

Who have you read that you thought did a good job of capturing the diving community's attitude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunberg
Wow! That's a new one. A blind writer writing about a world where the vis is everything. Most of spend a huge amount of time discussing vis. Why do we dive? To see what's down there, take pictures and show it to someone else. I would love to read your novel. Your perspective is most welcome. Maybe after the Scuba Board educates you, you'll return the favor.

Good luck, I'll buy a copy

Carl

I think it was an analogy.

Well yes, but at the rate my prescription is changing and judging by the fact that after checking in to the possibility of laser surgery they considered bringing in a phaser bank from the starship Enterprise, cbrunberg may not be far off the mark soon.

Thanks again everyone, I am now fading back into the woodwork…

mk

I hate those dreams.............and its always just when the girl you have the crust on enters your dream too!!! Dang.

Happy Diving

Way cool if it were Greg Isles. His Mississippi based novels keep me awake a night!

Hello,

Welcome to scuba board

Cheer
Jason

mksmash:
Who have you read that you thought did a good job of capturing the diving community's attitude?
Most of it would be non-fiction. Peter Benchley's Shark Tales, Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury, and of course, if you want real fiction, you've already arrived. Most of what you read on ScubaBoard is fiction. :D

Welcome to the board. Nice profile and very interesting story about the island.... It's almost like a ghost story of sorts.

How interesting and what a great sense of humor you have!

You should google Clive Cussler and take a gander at his fiction (and non-fiction) novels. All of his books have diving but the stories don't revolve around the sport. I think we do have quite a few on this board who think they are Dirk Pitt, but I would imagine they are more Al Giordino. :D

mksmash:
Hey Gang,

Thanks for the welcome and the great comments.

Well Rick, unfortunately the answer to your questions is no, no and no--although I'm not sure Steven King is Steven King and he would probably agree.

Aside from the handful of short stories I published when I was in college (where I was a budding English teacher who was going to write the great American novel before, tragically, I was kidnapped and raised by wolves at a municipal tennis facility), I haven't dabbled in fiction since. So, this is possibly an exercise in spitting at cross purposes to the atmospheric disturbance, or...

I got curious and did a search on Clive Cuttler. It appears he owns a keelboat named Dotty Dot which apparently isn't very fast as they came in 26th in a 27 boat race. No information on any action/adventure novels he may have written.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:gHoJVfXZRvwJ:www.tbrs.co.uk/Charity.htm+%22clive+cuttler%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Good observation Rick, and I will do my best. I have to admit though, that the diving aspect of the story is actually a very small part of it. It is however a very important part.

Well yes, but at the rate my prescription is changing and judging by the fact that after checking in to the possibility of laser surgery they considered bringing in a phaser bank from the starship Enterprise, cbrunberg may not be far off the mark soon.

Thanks again everyone, I am now fading back into the woodwork…

mk

Rick Inman:
LOL! Did you do that on purpose? (It's Cussler, of course.)

Clive Cussler is a writer whose style I'd recognize :)

So this guy must be Clive CUTTLER...one letter down the alphabet :)

You know like Arthur C Clarke used HAL for IBM up one letter :)

Paul in VT

Welcome to Scubaboard....

Best way to learn about Scuba and stay alive, that's easy.
1. Enroll in an openwater course with a good instructor and get ceritifed. (Hey could be tax deductable buisness expense for you).
2. Avoid driving to the dive sights. Too dangerous.

LOL....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom