Newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishlips_1

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm not yet certified, but will be taking my classes next month. My q is, what are the restrictions on collecting coral frags from the carribean. The reason I ask is, in October we are going on a cruise and may be taking three seperate dives. I have two reef tanks at home. I think it would be a great keep sake from one of my first dives in the carribean. If no one knows, where might a guy go to find out? I'm sure glad too find board such as this. I know the reef tank board is very helpful to those starting in the hobby, and am figuring this board will be as helpful as TRT.
Thanks for the help!,
Joe

Most places in the C if you go ripping up coral, you will get to see what the BASEMENT of the jail looks like.

Take only pictures......leave everything else

Thanx
Is it ok to cultivate frags in the US? Say Florida?
Not wanting to rape and pillage, just a little piece here and there.
Are their permits you need to get?

Fishlips_1:
Thanx
Is it ok to cultivate frags in the US? Say Florida?
Not wanting to rape and pillage, just a little piece here and there.

It is not done. There are no permits. There are no excuses for taking coral out of the ocean. There are no serious divers who take home coral samples. Period.

Put it in perspective. If everyone did what you are proposing the reefs would be torn to bits. All those "little pieces here and there" add up fast and coral grows slowly.

R..

Fishlips_1:

Actually, there ARE permits, but only for scientific collection. You won't be able to get one. Where do aquarium owners get their coral from? I would assume from shops that get them legitimately somehow.

Fishlips_1:
I have two reef tanks at home. I think it would be a great keep sake from one of my first dives in the carribean. If no one knows, where might a guy go to find out?

I'm sure you know this already but most coral you see in reef tanks is made from rubber. It's all fake but it's very convincing and it doesn't die. Live coral would just die in a normal aquarium. It's notoriously hard to keep from dying even in it's natural environment.

R..

Just say NO. A real diver would not take coral from the ocean. If that's your reason for getting certified than find another hobby.

I imagine most coral found in stores comes from the same shady operation as most of the salt water fish that are there.

I would sooner see the real stuff in the real environment, which isn't being helped by people keeping salt water aquariums.

Look at the collection of clown fish after the stupid NEMO movie.

BOY, I"M SORRY FOR ASKING!! My real reason is for search and rescue. with all the lakes within 20 miles of my house we have accidental drownings. my real goal was to help in the retrieval of lost victims. But after this little mishap not sure if this is for me. As far "salt water aquarium keepers" most things are captively grown. Yes, at some point they had to come from the wild. For some reason, I don't think there are commercial, "clown fish" harvesters. I'm sorry if I offended ne1, it was merely a question.

Diver0001:
I'm sure you know this already but most coral you see in reef tanks is made from rubber. It's all fake but it's very convincing and it doesn't die. Live coral would just die in a normal aquarium. It's notoriously hard to keep from dying even in it's natural environment.

R..
Unfortunately, you're wrong about the coral being fake. You are however, correct about live coral being very difficult to keep alive in a reef aquarium. It's possible and many successful reef aquariasts (??) in the US cultivate coral frags to trade or sell. Unfortunately, a huge amount of the coral and salt water fish sold in LFS's (Local Fish Stores) have been harvested from the wild using extremely damaging methods. Most of these fish and corals die when bought by unknowing, inexperienced aquarium owners :frown:

Back
Top Bottom