Newbie stupid question of the day . . 1st Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If not enough choices to wade thru already, here is another thought J.
Yoke or Din? I initially chose Yoke assured could switch to DIN (Atomic) and not long after regretted not understanding tanks better at that time.
Switched to Steel tanks w/Provalve so work either way, but also switched Atomic to DIN and purchased high quality Atomic Yoke adapter JIC.

Found: hate the Yoke adapter, haven’t used my AL50’s since loving the steel too much and to not be a very painful head banger = even worse trim w/AL80’s. Boat dives here provide tanks but I lug my steels on, carry adapter JIC.
It would have been cheaper to have started w/DIN, Steel tanks for my size and then done a switch to yoke if so inclined.
New Reg same price Din or Yoke and after, the Yoke separate purchase less expensive than Din kit. Have needed Adapter once, shop brought my tanks for me but neglected to fill first.

If I had another Yoke reg I’d use it for travel unless assured Steel Din were avail.

I too am AI wireless, the wrist look/see more intuitive for me. If I had a SPG, might just hook it up also, can’t be a bad idea. Have had a bad computer, not AI wireless related and quickly replaced once I dealt directly with Oceanic. Next computer will be AI wireless also, and probably another Oceanic. Have the transmitter already so less $ to upgrade.

.....for a modest fee it's easy for your LDS to save you $ by just converting your existing Titan LX 1st stage to DIN...then buy a removable, screw-on/off Din-to-Yoke 1st-stage adapter....the Titan LX 1st-stage is already pretty small.....so the extra length won't be hitting you in the back of the head...no worries. (among my front-line regs are a pair of Atomics that are DIN with screw on adapters for yoke valved tanks.....I use Scubapro and/or Atomic 'adapters...never a problem.....also have some Poseidons and Mares regs as back-ups configured the same way.....also have some regs that I've left as yoke-only (some other Mares ones...a Titan LX...and a pair of Apekx XTX 200's)

For some of my regs...including my Titan LX...I've installed a "HP port splitter" (manufactured by M&J Engineering...and sold by Deepoutdoors-brand dive shops) ...so it turns one HP port into 2 HP ports......so for about $ 225 total parts & labor (DIN kit $75 + adapter $ 100 + $ 50 HP port splitter) you can easily upgrade your existing Titan LX !

Most of my regs are DIN because I dive in Europe. If someone shows up at the shop (visiting from the States) with a yoke, we just place the insert in our valve and voila! No problem!

Betty, if you're thinking AI with a SPG back-up, I can't see why you wouldn't want wireless. If the computer goes kaput then your back-up will cover you. BTW, both of my ScubaPro 1st stages (MK17, and MK25) have 2 HP ports.

I realize this is a side-track: do we know for sure the AI is more accurate? Or are the electronics just giving us more digits making us *think* it's more accurate?

Henrik

My computer reading is very close to the LDS SPG, not exact, but within 100psi. My gauge reads high by a couple hundred pounds.

This is common with SPG's, they generally don't match exactly. I'm none too worried about it.

My computer reading is very close to the LDS SPG, not exact, but within 100psi. My gauge reads high by a couple hundred pounds.

This is common with SPG's, they generally don't match exactly. I'm none too worried about it.

Thanks for the info Ron.

No, I wouldn't be worried either, but it'd be interesting to know whether an electronic strain gauge device is - in general - considered more accurate than a bourdon tube device. I know that's the case for higher quality tire pressure gauges.

Henrik

If you decide to buy Apeks, be aware that the DS4 first stage that is sometimes supplied with the XTX40 & 50 has only one HP port. The DST first stage has 2 HP ports, as do the FST and FSR first stages supplied with the ATX/XTX 100 and 200.

Thank you for cleaning up my post. :D

The other consideration is what transmitter will you be using. The Oceanic does not like all reg port setups. Put a transmitter on and you may have to move a hose to a less than ideal position. I am fairly cheap and while I like to get the best I can afford I won't spend money on stuff I don;t need. An AI computer is one of those things I do not need. Between my Veo 200, OMS Bottom Timer, and V-Planner I have spent a total of 500 bucks. I trust my analog SPG's as well and would rather spend 75-100 on one of those than an AI computer whose battery may die. I have also seen wireless AI transmitters that got bumped and the housing broken, broke off, and heard too many stories about losing signals to trust one.

The other consideration is what transmitter will you be using. The Oceanic does not like all reg port setups. Put a transmitter on and you may have to move a hose to a less than ideal position. I am fairly cheap and while I like to get the best I can afford I won't spend money on stuff I don;t need. An AI computer is one of those things I do not need. Between my Veo 200, OMS Bottom Timer, and V-Planner I have spent a total of 500 bucks. I trust my analog SPG's as well and would rather spend 75-100 on one of those than an AI computer whose battery may die. I have also seen wireless AI transmitters that got bumped and the housing broken, broke off, and heard too many stories about losing signals to trust one.

I've heard stories of people losing signals, but never experienced it myself. I have had the battery fail on my transmitter though, on the second day of a Red Sea dive trip. Fortunately I have an SPG as well :wink: Some of the transmitters are quite bulky too, and may not fit in the HP ports without swaping hoses around, or you can put the transmitter on a short HP hose.

The other thing to consider is that Suunto computers need to be paired with the transmitter before each dive, which is a pita in my opinion. Aladins only need pairing once, I've never used any other makes so I don't know how they work.

I have to agree with those that said if you have an inherent distrust of electronics, don't buy a digital AI or wireless AI. Equipment confidence is a necessity. Not to be mistaken with blind trust. No matter what type of SPG you use, if you started the dive with 3000psi and 5-10 minutes into the dive you're still showing 3000psi, you might want to entertain the idea that you have a problem (or lungs the size of a hamster's). I use wireless AI, and for the reason that others have stated. It puts all of the information I need in one spot on my forearm that leaves both of my hands free and requires only a glance down to read. While I dive 2 computers, I don't dive with a back-up analog SPG. It sits in my save-a-dive kit along with a back-up transmitter. But, I'm a simple recreational diver where losing gas supply information because of computer or transmitter failure is no big deal. First, because I still have a pretty good idea of how much gas I have left just based on experience. And second, because my buddy (It's my wife and I don't do insta-buddies) has a transmitter on my 1st stage and can tell me how much gas I have left (and often does, just to point out that her number is higher than mine). So, a failure like that just means that particular dive is going to be a little shorter. I do a basic accuracy check of my computer/transmitter on each dive by comparing what my wife's Uwatec is saying I have and what my Oceanic is reading. They're usually within 50-60psi of each other. And occasionally, I'll get out the tank checker gauge and check it with that as well.

As for DIN vs. Yoke. I don't know. I guess that depends on the type of tanks you're going to use most often, AL80 or HP steel. I will say this. I do most of my diving in the Caribbean and more and more I'm seeing that dive ops are willing and able to accommodate DIN regs (with DIN valves, not inserts), if you just let them know. Personally, I just don't like adding adapters to anything. That's just adding another piece of equipment I have to remember, rely on, and maintain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom