Newbie to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
Haloclines in a cenote? I've only done Dos Ojos, but it's totally fresh water, no salt.

Yes, there are haloclines in Dos Ojos. This system is enormous with many branches extending around the region. The various branches are given many different names. We dove there over New Years and found the halocline down around 58'. Fascinating experience! The walls and formations seemed to turn to cotton candy in that environment. Very surreal.

Mark

So like I have always wondered.....just where does this much FRESH PURE water come from? Like in Cozumel (teeeeny tiny compared to say Dos Ojos), there are SEVERAL underground system that pump out MILLIONS of cu ft of water per minute into the ocean, there is NO WAY on earth it all comes from rain water, so on such a teeny tiny island just how deep and where does the water come from?

I wanna say I heard the opening at Chakanaab puts out like 20+ million gallons a minute? That is insane!

Anyone know by chance?

marcus8:
Yes, there are haloclines in Dos Ojos. This system is enormous with many branches extending around the region. The various branches are given many different names. We dove there over New Years and found the halocline down around 58'. Fascinating experience! The walls and formations seemed to turn to cotton candy in that environment. Very surreal.

Mark

Just curious...did you do Dos Ojos the CAVES or Dos Ojos as a cavern dive?

Dos Ojos as a cavern dive doesn't get any deeper than 25 or 30 feet.

These people are referring to recreational cavern diving...not full cave diving.

Christi:
Just curious...did you do Dos Ojos the CAVES or Dos Ojos as a cavern dive?

Dos Ojos as a cavern dive doesn't get any deeper than 25 or 30 feet.

These people are referring to recreational cavern diving...not full cave diving.

We went down through the Bat Cave with Hidden Worlds. We are not cave divers. They first took us through some rather boring caverns, forget the name, but then my brother and I went alone with the dm to a much deeper location. It ended at this depth which is where the halocline was.

Mark

Brules:
So like I have always wondered.....just where does this much FRESH PURE water come from? Like in Cozumel (teeeeny tiny compared to say Dos Ojos), there are SEVERAL underground system that pump out MILLIONS of cu ft of water per minute into the ocean, there is NO WAY on earth it all comes from rain water, so on such a teeny tiny island just how deep and where does the water come from?
I wanna say I heard the opening at Chakanaab puts out like 20+ million gallons a minute? That is insane!
Anyone know by chance?
The water comes from underground rivers...
Check it out...http://www.gocenotes.com/english/cenotediving.htm
scroll toward bottom of page for a detailed answer to your question.

Back
Top Bottom