Newbie to regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nes999

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Im sorta lost in the whole which reg to get. I live in the midwest, and am on a college budget. Any suggestions? I have a Real old looking us divers regulator set up that I got free with a dive knife. but its not an octopus. Im totally lost, Thanks.

While it is something that should have been covered extensively in your OW class a few simple questions will help us get a better idea of what you need.
Cold water or strictly warm?
Salt, fresh, or both?
Clear water or silty conditions?

Personally I look for a sealed reg with coldwater capability. There are a number of them out there that meet my requirements and range from relatively inexpensive to ridiculously overpriced. What kind of budget are you limited to?

While it is something that should have been covered extensively in your OW class a few simple questions will help us get a better idea of what you need.
Cold water or strictly warm?
Salt, fresh, or both?
Clear water or silty conditions?

Personally I look for a sealed reg with coldwater capability. There are a number of them out there that meet my requirements and range from relatively inexpensive to ridiculously overpriced. What kind of budget are you limited to?

Cold, silty water. Fresh only, although I may be going to cozumel the summer, but I could alway rent one for that trip.

Before you go spending money, what USD reg do you have? It may well be a great reg with a little TLC. Just because it's a little old does not mean its not a good one. Adding an octo is no big deal or you can replace the primary second stage with a new (HOG maybe) second and use the current primary as your octo. Post a photo of what you have.

Jim's suggestion is a good one, as usual.

How much are you willing to part with on a set of regs? College budget usually means hand me downs, garage sales, Craigslist or eBay. Be careful of what you buy. If you're not sure, bounce it off everyone here first. If you were local, I would help set you up with reliable but not so stylish stuff. I was in your shoes once....way back in 85'.

IMG_2455.jpgIMG_2457.jpgIMG_2458.jpgIMG_2459.jpgIMG_2460.jpg
it says its a usd Calyfso it Also says aqualung in the center.
I'm looking at around 200-250 if possible. I dont need anything to pretty, I just want something safe.

Unfortunately your Calypso is not going to help, you will need another set.
I'd suggest getting a US Divers Conshelf on eBay, there's always at least a half dozen on at any one time and you can get a full set with octo and gauges for about $120. Buy a new HOG 2nd stage for it and you'll have a reg that'll breath as good as anything you could buy new for three times a much. It'll be good in water temps down to the mid 40's.

I agree wth Fishpie on this one. That is a mid 60 reg, good reg actually but parts and service are no longer available for it and it only has 1 LP port so it's a collectors or vintage diver piece, not something a new diver would want to start with. Still, it's worth $20 or so on ebay so don't trash it.

Dive Rite, HOG, or Scubapro MK2 regs are very college budget friendly regs. Online places sell Dive Rite regs for $399, HOGs go for $270, and $299 for Scubapro MK2.

Back
Top Bottom