Newbie to regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice. Apeks are generally very good regs and long lasting, also good in cold water since they usually are environment sealed.
Check it out with your service but if I remember correctly Apeks are serviced every 2 years instead of every year.

Happy diving

I would say before you spend you money, use rental for a while, probably when you get to 50 dives, you will have much better idea what reg you want. Buying reg cost more than just the price of the reg. For used, you need to shell out another $100 for service for 1st + 2nd. Then you still need spg and depth gauge. the worst is you buy something you didn't really want, then you have resell and buy again, which cost you more.

reg w/console rental ~ 15/day * 50 = 750

Hog coldwater 1st, 2 seconds w/spg for just over half of that, and if it isn't what you want you can resell it after 50 dives and still be ahead of having rented for that time. That's new.

Just an opinion :)

50 days of diving is not 50 dives. If you dive everything one day every for a year, that is 52 days of diving. Say 2 dives per day. If you are doing this much diving, you should buy your own.

As for the cost of hog, 1st + 2nd + SPF is $499 from DRIS, add simple diving computer $200. $700 total. Now this is compatible with your rental package. At least where I live, $15/day rental includes a console computer. And $100 per year for reg service is a on going cost.

My point is don't rush into buying equipments. You can read a lot of post here praise for xxx brand xxx equipment, but it may not be what you want. My example is buying my first reg with DIN while I was using rental only. 10 dives later, I found out it was not optimal set up. I sold the set, lost 1/3 the money, then got what I wanted the 2nd time around. Didn't want this to happen to others.

BTW, OP, great choice on Apeks reg.

reg w/console rental ~ 15/day * 50 = 750

Hog coldwater 1st, 2 seconds w/spg for just over half of that, and if it isn't what you want you can resell it after 50 dives and still be ahead of having rented for that time. That's new.

Just an opinion :)

For someone on a budget, I think it would be remiss not to mention the TUSAs. The brand doesn't seem to get get as much traction in the US but is much more common in Asia (which would make sense since this is a Japanese brand). They also manufacture Scubapro regs so they definitely know what they are doing.

I purchased the RS-530 regulator (first stage, second stage, and hoses) + octopus (and hose) for $214 on LP. It's an adjustable-flow reg with 2HP ports and 4 or 5 LP ports (can't remember), so it's definitely not a low-end model. I actually bought 2 sets (for my wife and me), and we've take it on 5 dives so far. It's still early, but so far, they performed very well, and breathing was so easy that we never even bothered to "open up" the dial. As far as cons go, I would mention 2 things: dry mouth seems to be more of an issue for me with these regs than others (my wife had no such issue, however) - but this is a minor problem that can easily be resolved. Also, the form factor is a bit bigger than I would like with the 1st stage being heavier than I expected - but it does feel like a solid piece of equipment. This might not be much of an issue for those who aren't always flying, but for those that do, it's worth noting. Still, I wouldn't pay double for a Micron.

I think you'd have a hard time finding a deal like this. In fact, I just checked and looks like they raised the price to $240, but it's still a steal, imo.

Yes, looks like some of ScubaPro's regs are joint ventures with TUSA and that they can re-use a design after a certain number of years.
On Leisure pro the RS-530 is at 400$ with an octo.
Thanks for the heads-up but I think the OP already bought a set of regs.

The weight of the reg is good for heat exchange. The more metal, the better it will perform in colder waters.
Furthermore, airlines have pretty much cut off any excess baggage. Since I'm already paying for extra sports baggage, I bring my backplate and jetfins. Removing 1 pound from the reg seems like a futile tactic when one of my fins is heavier than the reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom