Newbie to Scubaboard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfmarty45

Reaction score
Greetings. My name is Mike and I've been diving for about 15 years now. I have dove both East and West Coast dive locations and have also dove in Maui and Mexico. I enjoy Monterey, CA diving the most (even though people always complain that the viz is bad and that it is too cold).

I am thinking of switching to diving Nitrox, any comments would be welcome. I look forward to chatting. Thanks, Mike

Welcome aboard!! I am a huge supporter of Nitrox, you gain extended bottom time, in some cases double the amount of time!! Some people say you don't feel as "tired" afterwards but I believe that is contributed to by the dive you are doing.... anyways, hope you enjoy your time on the board!!

mfmarty45:
I am thinking of switching to diving Nitrox, any comments would be welcome. I look forward to chatting. Thanks, Mike

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

Nitrox is wonderful for extending bottom time by 50% in the 80 to 150 range, depending on which mix you use. 32% Nx has a Soft bottom of 111, Hard bottom of 132, and greatly reduces N2 loading. 36% is commonly used for less N2 but shallower bottom; 30% and even 28% are sometimes, and you can go deeper, but not as long.

I don't buy into the Feel-Better or Better-Safety veins, but some do...

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile? Some ideas for your Profle might be taken from looking at mine. Click on my Username to the upper left, then click on my Profile, and see what I've done. For your's, click the [CP] in the upper left of the screen, then click [Edit Profile]. If you need any more help, PM me direct.

:D

Hi Mike, and welcome.

I'm one of those folks who believe that you feel better diving Nitrox. Not like narcosis or anything, just a little more energetic, a little less fatigued.

I also would recommend the Nitrox class because it helps you understand respiratory physiology, dive physics and gas exchange a lot better. And the actual dives are no more complicated than dives on air. (Well, that's not strictly true. There are a couple of useful equations that I try to run before diving nitrox, just to make sure that I understand my limits.)

BTW, I took the PADI and IANTD courses together. PADI was easier to understand, but IANTD went into more depth. That was a great way to do it, because it made the concepts easy to grasp but let me dig a little deeper.

Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

Welcome to Scuba Board. Nitrox is the gas to breathe!!!

Benvenuto a bordo

I am looking into a Nitrox class in my area. I think I will give it a run. I want to get as much training as possible. You can never have too much. Thanks again for the warm welcome. Regards,

Mike

Aloha! You'll like it here, this is the most informative place to go for SCUBA on the internet. Whether you want info, humor, or spirited debate, (or sometimes all three at once!), this is the place! :crafty:

TJ

Back
Top Bottom