Newbie To Wetsuits - Which Is Better Xcel, Aqualung, or O'Neil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand that but Where I live they have only one dive shop that dont carry very much good stuff and I am looking for a good wetsuit to order online so just wondering the best brand out of them 3

In that case I don't know for sure. If you start ordering wetsuits online make sure you can return stuff easily without a problem because you may be doing this a few times.

Brand is not a big factor. Most are made overseas by various job shops. While the core materials are similar, some of the linings are different, but I am not sure this is a big issue, probably more of a marketing angle.

Size is huge, buying on with the "stretch materials" reduces sizing issues which is a plus when ordering online. The material also tends to compress more at depth so there is a down size in cold water / deep diving.

I've always owned O'Niel suits and I consider them to be one of the best. But I've also worn the cheaper Neosports that are like 88 bucks and frankly I can hardly tell a difference. Like the other folks said, it's all in what fits you.

I personally like the Aqualung suits. I have a 7mil and a 3mil. They are both the super stretch material. I have tried other brands and especially in the 7mil where the material is thicker the Aqualung Super Stretch was the way to go. It is more form fitting and doesn't allow as much water to move around the suit...

I've always owned O'Niel suits and I consider them to be one of the best. But I've also worn the cheaper Neosports that are like 88 bucks and frankly I can hardly tell a difference. Like the other folks said, it's all in what fits you.

I had a bad experience with NeoSport, the 7 mil material is crushed now to 5 mil (after about 100-150 dives) and a seam stated to split and the neck frayed do to whiskers. I still use it, as a 5 mil suit and for $88 it OK, it fits me and so I like it well enough, but there is a noticeable difference in quality between it at my AQ and Bare suits.

I usually just go to the shop and buy whatever is on sale and fits the best. I can't even remeber what brand mine are!
It seems wetsuits are generally cheap if you can find a good sale. It's one thing I wouldn't want to buy online without trying on first because sizing is all over the map.
Tip- find a nylon skin for $25-50, you can almost always find these on sale and the sizing for these is easy. They will make the wetsuit glide on easily, even the 7mm. Make sure you take it to the shop so that when you're sweating and trying on suits that may not fit properly you can get in and out of the easily.
I love my nylon skin, even use it in my pool for sun protection when swimming or practicing skills since I'm so sun sensitive. Also, when on a dive trip, it gives me great sun protection. I can pull off the wetsuit and still be fully protected from the sun.

You are probably entirely correct. A single dive in a newer NeoSport probably doesn't mean it's a good suit, just that it worked that day.

Back
Top Bottom