Newbie with gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermike1011

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi:

I must admit I'd never heard of DIR until I joined these forums, and I've been very interested in what I've read thus far. Sometime in the future when my wife will let me spend more money on gear I'd like to try it! (just finished buying all my OW stuff so I don't think another grand or so is going to fly right now) I think a lot of the configurations make sense. One of the items I keep seeing among various agencies that hold to DIR principles are no split fins allowed, and that really has my curiosity piqued. Why do they say no split fins? I happen to own split fins which I bought umpteen years ago when I first got my snorkeling kit and they have served me fine, so I am genuinely interested that so many different groups don't allow them.

Thanks!

There's a lot of threads on here that cover the issue of split fins in considerable detail. The search function should give you plenty of reading material.

In short, the arguement against split fins involves the following issues:

1) Insufficient propulsion power, especially when wearing doubles and/or against current/flow.
2) Insufficient mobility, less rigid design hampers ability to back-fin or helicopter turn.
3) Design is not ideal for non-silting fin kicks, such as modified flutter and frog kicks.

These are only truely relevant if you are diving wrecks or caves and/or wearing doubles.

For the average recreational diver, in open water, using the standard flutter kick to cover straight line distance, then split fins are adequate.

However, many divers now seek to utilise technical diving 'best practice' within recreational diving. More people wear doubles. More people utilise frog kick. More people use back kick and helicopter turns. Hence, more people don't now recommend split fins for recreational diving.

This is especially true for those divers who adhere to the DIR methodology and concept. DIR (Do It Right) is all about standardisation of equipment configuration (and procedures/drills/skills etc). It evolved from the lessons learnt in exploratory/expeditionary cave diving (a high risk pursuit with low tolerance for failure leading to death) and is consequently applied in all diving areas, recreational and technical. Some see DIR as 'overkill' for recreational diving. Others disagree...saying that 'best practice' should be followed at all times, on all dives.

Thanks for the response Devon, and I can't believe I didn't do a search first! Such a noob. I do like the idea of standardized gear placement (seem to remember getting that beat in to my head once or twice here at work) and to be honest since I put a premium on safety and self improvement in diving I wish I'd see these forums prior to purchasing my own gear. That being said I have no issues currently with the gear I own (mostly Oceanic) as it works great for single tank dives out here on Oahu, and at the moment getting into the water again post surgery has been my only concern, and thus I am content for the moment. I do think that long term I will start moving in the DIR direction as getting more gear becomes available, and my current dive buddy uses DIR (or something similar) so I can at least start learning. Thanks for the response, and in the future I'll do a little more digging about issues 'for I ask.

Hi Divermike! If you're ever looking for another DIR buddy, feel free to hit me up. I wouldn't mind getting around a bit more, myself before I leave here.

Peace,
Greg

Greg,

Will do. Diving this weekend for Rescue Diver, but after we get back from Big Island post xmas, I definitely will. Just to clarify, at the moment I don't have a DIR setup, but I am always looking to improve and have a good dive.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom