Newbie With Hollis Sms 75 Questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrybaldy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

I am recently new to the sport and found myself having lots of fun and don't know why I have never done this before??
My question is, I've just bought a Hollis SMS 75 as I like the fact that I can progress on to SM at a later stage to which I'm very much looking forward to. I will be using backmount for a little while until I get the SM course done but wondered about weighting? I have purchased a Hollis weight plate also but wondered if this can be used when mounting the cylinder on the back or is there other weight systems, or good ways to attach different weight pockets on?

Many thanks in advance and safe diving!!
Garry

might be possible to use the weight plate with a sta if you can fit it in the middle of the weight plate. the bent sta's like the oxycheq/dive rite would probably be more likely to work than a square sta like the hollis/halcyon. other options are to use harness weight pockets, weight belt, or weight harness for ballast instead of the weight plate. i would get your SM course in soon as anything you do will be a stopgap measure to use the sms75 for single tank backmount.

might be possible to use the weight plate with a sta if you can fit it in the middle of the weight plate. the bent sta's like the oxycheq/dive rite would probably be more likely to work than a square sta like the hollis/halcyon. other options are to use harness weight pockets, weight belt, or weight harness for ballast instead of the weight plate. i would get your SM course in soon as anything you do will be a stopgap measure to use the sms75 for single tank backmount.
I am probably going to get the Hollis STA and use weight pockets too. The weight plate may come in handy when I go totally SM, so all is not lost. Where I am at the minute is pretty remote and only have equipment for BM. I will need to buy my own kit which works out costly for side mount, so will have to do it bit by bit but want the Hollis with the BM as good as I can possibly get it to enjoy the experience. It's one of the key factors I bought the 75 so I can use it BM until I can get all the kit for SM. Thanks for the reply and the advice, all advice is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom