Newbie's - Are we Prepared?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the dive vacation diving may actually be easier than what folks learn on. At least that is the way it is up here in the PNW. With our cold water, murky vis and potentially strong currents, just getting OW certification is often sufficient experience for going diving on a pampered warm water dive boat with DMs during one's tropical vacation. Managing buoyancy and weights is a whole lot easier without thick exposure suits and clunky gloves.

Two things to add :

1) I'm from Montréal, Canada and did OW cert in a lake, and AOW in St-Lawrence seaway ( Brockville. Ontario ) ... Caribbean diving is like " pool diving " compare to lake diving !!!

2) During on Caribbean trip, a Brit diver congratulated me on my diving and asked where I was from ... " Canada " I replied ... he followed with " Oh, trained in cold water ... "

Quarries tend to be murky yes.... but I think surf and water motion make for a more challenging dive. CA divers have an edge as far as that goes.

From what I hear, Jersey divers tend not to be slouches either :wink:

rakkis:
From what I hear, Jersey divers tend not to be slouches either :wink:

:D What's a few kilometers ( miles ) ??? :wink:

I agree with Carlos that SoCal divers have a better understanding of the ocean and the skills a diver needs than the average diver. SHore dives from Laguna or Little Corona can teach you a respect you don't learn in a quarry or a resort location usually.

My students are told that a quarry will teach them to deal with low viz and cold; we cannot simulate surge, swells or current. Thats a huge hole in their diving education; most will never make a shore dive after certification thank heavens, but I just have no way to prepare them for that here.

Being in Indy, I use the reference that the OW class is like getting your drivers license; you are certified to drive, but not ready to go 220 mph at Indianapolis Motor Speedway; in our case you are certified to dive pretty benign conditions, the Andrea Doria will have to wait until you get much more experience and skills. I am much more attuned to that than most instructors as in my first or second year of teaching, a student stopped in the springs on way home from the Keys and went into a cave with 2 buddies; they made it out, he did not. Funerals are not fun by any means.

IMHO, newer divers need a combination of both the coursework and experience. I was certified at 13 with my younger brother. Being junior divers, and with no experienced friends, neither of us dove again after getting our c-cards. About two years ago (hence my profile), I was able to go with a friend on a week-long dive cruise.

I'm not stupid, I took a refresher course before leaving and was very clear with the DM on the cruise that I was a beginner diver despite the date of my c-card. BTW, the DM was very happy that I had taken the refresher.

After a week of diving, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't developing any bad habits and to refine my skills with an experienced diver. So I got my AOW with 15 dives under my belton my next trip and it was the best thing I did in terms of diving in various situations, refining my skills, and curbing bad habits.

Point is, if you are a "first generation" diver among your friends and family, classes are really the best way to go if you are not lucky enough to have anyone to mentor you.

Here may be a different way to look at it.

Could it be that the BOW class is targeted to the 'underwater tourist' divers? IE, those divers who simply want to dive on vacation with a DM and have someone else take care of the logistics and planning for them. They want the absolute minimal required effort on thier part to do this and agencies are making it easier to get this.

If I were to look at what's covered in the BOW, look at the expierences I saw when DM'ing, I'd make several changes. The bulk of which has been hashed over and over on this board but the gist of it is a class that is longer and more comprehsive with actual performace requirements measuring thier ability to dive without supervision. I've seen the results firsthand but the problem is, that class isn't competitive with other shops.

in_cavediver:
Here may be a different way to look at it.

Could it be that the BOW class is targeted to the 'underwater tourist' divers? IE, those divers who simply want to dive on vacation with a DM and have someone else take care of the logistics and planning for them. They want the absolute minimal required effort on thier part to do this and agencies are making it easier to get this.

If I were to look at what's covered in the BOW, look at the expierences I saw when DM'ing, I'd make several changes.

This thread dances on several topics that have been argued vehemently on other threads. cavdiver, I don't know if that's the target of BOW, certainly wasn't for me, but I think it equates well to what one learns. That's about all I really felt confident in doing so I immediatley took AOW. A previous poster brought up AOW. If and when to take AOW has been argued many times in various threads. IMHO, people get more hung up on the title than the content (I've stated that several times). Given the brevity of BOW, doesn't it make sense to get more dives with an instructor doing more bouyancy skills, navigation, low viz and depth?

You say based on DM'ing you'd make several changes, I'd be interested to know what they are.

JR

I have to agree with the cold and murky water trainers. Divers learn lots of good skills quickly. We love to watch our newish o/w divers head to tropical waters and dive like old hands. Surge, surf, low vis and cool water hones buoyancy control and navigation skills very quickly.

We also give dive club membership to all our o/w students and encourage them to come on led dives. This gets all the singles and buddyless people out diving.

Comming from Australia where, according to the original post, we have the top 10 deadly sea critters I'd just like to say that most of our marine injuries come from sharp shells and sea urchins. We also have the worlds deadliest spider living around suburban homes, 8 of the top 10 deadliest land snakes and idiots in 4x4s driving around the cities hitting school kids. Get me in the ocean where its safe and you can wave at the nasties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom