"NEWBIES" wanting to shark tooth dive in Venice, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since my post, Steve from Florida West contacted me and was very gracious and explained that he has had a lot of problems lately with "panicked" divers lately due to visibility, divers lack of conditioning and experiance. They weren't rude, I just senced a frustration over the phone. Any way, we plan on doing some shore dives then hooking up with Florida West, alls good.

Went out today with Aristkat, Capt Jamie put us spot on again, vis was unreal today must have been at least 40 ft@ 28-30 ft. Everbody was pleased with the dives, and for the newbies Capt. Jamie can get one of his Divemasters to go with you to show you how its done. Today we fouund a couple of 3-4 inchers and lots of smaller Megs and misc. teeth.Had a great time plan on doing it again.

Neubes,

Don't be discouraged, it may be the way you presented yourselves to Florida West. I have dived with Florida West twice a year for the last four years and they have always been very hospitable. What they are probably concerned about new divers coming on their trips is that the visibility is very limited in the areas they dive. By limited, I mean 3 to 4 feet in 30 feet of water. It's not a situation where you need a light but it could panic some new divers who did not have that experience while going through their basic open water course. If you and your wife feel comfortable diving then you probably will not have any trouble with this type of diving. Some divers, on the trip, dive alone but most dive in pairs or threes and no matter how many there are, everyone carries a float flag. In addition, when we dive in pairs, we tie ourselves together with a buddy line, a ten foot line that allows each diver to look for artifacts without fear of wandering off from their buddy. A compass is another good tool in that you can maintain a straight course and not go in circles. You may have a difficult time getting a reservation due to the popularity of Florida West's schedule but don't let their perceived rejection of new divers turn you off because most dive charters will pair you off with an experienced guide if you request it. I have 52 years of diving experience and I still get some boat owners that question your ability. Keep the faith, it's a great sport.

I'm glad you got it worked out with Steve. He is a great guy and runs a very professional charter. I wouldn't hesitate to give him a try if I were you.

Venice muck diving! Love it. Beach entry to 18 ft to the right of the pier, straight off of the bath house. Hook a buddy line up and start sifting. Find 400+ teeth per dive. Viz is no concern because you will trash it anyway. Lots of fun. Have a few 5 in megs and jars of teeth. Enjoy.

Neubes,

Don't be discouraged, it may be the way you presented yourselves to Florida West. I have dived with Florida West twice a year for the last four years and they have always been very hospitable. What they are probably concerned about new divers coming on their trips is that the visibility is very limited in the areas they dive. By limited, I mean 3 to 4 feet in 30 feet of water. It's not a situation where you need a light but it could panic some new divers who did not have that experience while going through their basic open water course. If you and your wife feel comfortable diving then you probably will not have any trouble with this type of diving. Some divers, on the trip, dive alone but most dive in pairs or threes and no matter how many there are, everyone carries a float flag. In addition, when we dive in pairs, we tie ourselves together with a buddy line, a ten foot line that allows each diver to look for artifacts without fear of wandering off from their buddy. A compass is another good tool in that you can maintain a straight course and not go in circles. You may have a difficult time getting a reservation due to the popularity of Florida West's schedule but don't let their perceived rejection of new divers turn you off because most dive charters will pair you off with an experienced guide if you request it. I have 52 years of diving experience and I still get some boat owners that question your ability. Keep the faith, it's a great sport.

I agree - Steve at Fl.West is realistic with divers when he cautions them that the vis. may be bad and the conditions less than perfect. Many people diving on the West Coast for the first time are suprized that the water isn't as clear as the Keys; they're also shocked that they get cold on a sharks tooth dive, forgetting that their BTs are usually over one hour on a single 80. It's easy to silt out an area if flutter kicking instead of frog kicking, and that leads to anxiety/panic in many newer divers.

Again, Steve just tells it like it is. He runs a very professional boat and will educate you on the geology of the area you're diving. Money very well-spent in my opinion.

I am also a newbe and hope to dive in the venice area any advise? I will also be looking for a dive buddy???

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 07:39 PM ----------

Good to know I will giving them a try this March. I am also a newbie and never dived in Florida.
Any advice or other places to go would be much appreciated :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom