Newly exposed wreck areas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
29356166_10155298088543199_5856948877516603392_n.jpg

I visited the wreck of the Lofthus late yesterday afternoon. I was surprised to see heavy growth of worm rock or Sabellariid reef growth all over the place. Some even resembled a thick corrugated carpet over some of the hull ribs. I don't recall having seen such heavy growth out there before. Looking around it seems the sand level was lower by 2 to perhaps 3 ft.+ over the wreck. I suspect the worm rock growth was covered on past dives that I had made out there in recent years. The rock reef to the west was even more exposed in some areas.

Those massive waves that came with the Northeaster a few weeks ago may have caused some some major sand flushing. I wonder what other wrecks have been better exposed by this wave event?

Photos and video including an overview of the history of the Lofthus at Dive Spot: The Wreck of the Lofthus - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

I have been planning a dive on the Valentine to see what's changed..maybe next weekend

Please let us know what changes you see out there. There have been some significant weather events this year to move things around.

Er, took me a while to make a dive here (Georges Valentine)
And, I did not pick a good day (today) Flat seas, but heavy surge and low viz.
In spite of that, I found it. And to my surprise, the boiler is still visible as before. Main hull section that was prominent before, looks the same. I started to explore the area where the ribbing should be and didn't find it, but did manage to get close to getting sick with the motion and low viz....called the dive.
Will explore again.

modified map based on what I have found over time
I have seen a mast step at one point East of the boiler as well as a mast. I believe those were buried sometime prior to Irma.
gv.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom