Newspaper Chain Sues Internet Forums

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bleeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Debated whether this went better in here, Feedback, or A&I, given how people sometimes post copies of entire news articles. ScubaBoard is already dealing with one law suit. Is this a potential avenue for several more, given that at least one news organization is using it as a source of revenue?

Newspaper Chains' New Business Plan: Copyright Lawsuits of Blogs, Web Site and Internet Forums

Second Newspaper Chain Joins Copyright Trolling Operation

While copyright law in most countries recognizes the concept of "fair use", it generally doesn't include reproducing the entire article, even if your purpose is educational or for the public good. When I was in school, the rule of thumb they gave us was that you could reproduce up to the first three sentences of a news article. After that, you got into gray areas which might not be worth dealing with. Maybe more posters need to be aware of this type of rule, to avoid creating more problems for SB.

Just another example of the speculative economy that exists in the US. Money for producing nothing.

I hope someone picks up on this idea, finding a way to sue newspapers who clip from bloggers – I am probably not alone in loving the idea that someone should to call to offer the same legal representation to protect my own intellectual property in my blog.

The above was stolen from wired.

Back
Top Bottom