• Aquatica

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Nauticam

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Go buy a used system from classifieds camera and all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll weigh in here, yes I too am a Nauticam dealer, but I think the Aquatica lacks in several areas.

One is the closure. Aquatica is still using flip latches. I don't like them for a variety of reasons; alignment, weight, awkwardness on the housing. Nauticam uses an easy cam lock.

Weight and size. Nauticam is better in both areas.

Locking Ports, ergonomics, visual and audible flood alarm, gearing, quality of construction. Nauticam is simply better.

Jean, that dealer you refer to in Vancouver, Canada is NOT a NauticamUSA dealer. He is an Aquatica dealer and is very, well, active on EBay selling all sorts of items besides UW photo equipment. He may get Nauticam product grey market, but you will not get North American support. Nor probably the most knowledgeable dealer.

BTW; I recently tried out a demo macro port and Alpha 35mm lens with an adapter on the Nauticam Nex5. Verdict is that the AF just doesn't work, slow to the point of being worthless.

The flat port with macro diopter holder is the best idea right now, until a macro lens is released.

Jack

Jack, I am not here to pick a fight with anybody, just like it when things are clear, that’s all.

If you feel you need to downsize the other products in order to promote the ones you sell, then IMO you have a very poor sense of marketing. I personally think the Nauticam products are, like our Aquatica one’s, very well made, we both bring a different approach to the same mission and use different techniques, material and methods to do so.

You seem eager to criticize the Aquatica on some issue, to which I will respond (and please do not interpret this as an attack on the Nauticam, I am sure Chris Parsons will understand my stand here)

The latches we use, we have been using for 30 years now, not only by us, but by many other long established manufacturers of camera and video housing, u/w scooters, life support system and a slew of other military approved products, you would think that maybe, just maybe, by now, we would know what works and what does not, no?

Size and weight... Ours is calculated with the built in optical connector attached, (as in not an attachment supplied separately), I fail to see your point here as to who is better in this area, given that the Aquatica is smaller in actual size but higher because of the included strobe connectors.
Weight wise, the Aquatica is 225gr heavier (again including optical connectors)

We have locking ports, actually had them for longer than Nauticam has been around as a company, I am sure that by now it was common knowledge to everybody (but just in case, you can check our website, for more detail),

Our moisture alarm has always had visual and audible warnings (I don’t see the big deal here, most do anyway, not a sale point unless you are trying to insinuate that ours don’t, again check our website for info),

Gears, what about gears??? None of our gears require the user to modify, alter or remove the rubber zoom ring, is that a sin, that we made them user friendly???

Quality of construction? The Aquatica is irreproachable, we are not only happy to anodize our housings, but we go one step further and add an extra layer of protection in the form of a powder coat that is certified to ASTM D2794 specification, we know what unprotected anodized look like after a few years in a salt environment, it’s not pretty.

The Dealer in Vancouver (Mozaik to name him) is a genuine Nauticam dealer, who buys his housing from Chris Parsons (for whom I have a great respect as an industry member BTW), Chris will surely confirm that for you, so much for not having North American support and so much about who is being knowledgeable dealer here. If this dealer wishes to broaden his reach by using e-bay, I fail to see what would be making him a less educated person because you do not wish to do the same. That comment, make that the whole paragraph, is loaded with derogative innuendo. He is not this and may this and may that... Facts, Jack, facts, not supposition. Sorry, but, not your shiniest moment I’m afraid.

Yikes..... Let me wade in here, um, carefully.

So, first, about Mozaik. They are an indeed an authorized Nauticam dealer. However, we do have a sales threshold for being listed as an dealer, and they have not yet made that threshold so are not listed on our website. As for Jean's claim that by going to Mozaik you could compare the two - possible, though I sort of doubt it as I have had no indication that Mozaik is stocking Nauticam product.

About eBay/Amazon - we currently do not allow our dealers to sell Nauticam product on either. Mozaik has agreed not to do that with Nauticam - we had that discussion. We believe that personal service from a dealer with specific product knowledge is very important in this business.

Knowledgeable dealers do well. Jack has done very well for us because he knows the business, knows the camera, parts, etc, and knows what works. Jack has a loyal following and is great to do business with. And I will also give you that Jean has done very well for Aquatica as he too knows his stuff (and now you owe me a beer Jean :).

As for which is a better housing, obviously I have my views, but I'll keep them to myself at the moment. Clearly when multiple vendors compete, products get better and everyone wins. Nauticam has brought a tremendous amount of innovation to this business in a short period of time. There is no doubt that other vendors are feeling pressure. But again, that's a good thing as ultimately consumers will win.

And finally, back to the original poster... sorry your thread got hijacked!! The 18-55mm is quite versatile, and I think for most people it is the right place to start. I took it diving yesterday as a matter of fact, and got some nice stuff. Yes, having a close-up lens adapter is awesome too. Personally, I would probably dive more with the 16mm + FE (or the 16mm + WA adapter that Sony is due to deliver on) as I like wide angle more, but I would definitely want 18-55 in my quiver.

Cheers,
Cp

Hey, I dont mind the thread getting hijacked it makes it more interesting :p
Thanks for all your replies.

Well Jean, I pretty much stand by my post.

Other than he has sold a housing or two from Nauticam, he is not a place to get much help. I noticed that he is advertising products on EBay that are not available, and have not been available for some time, not sure that's in accordance with their rules, but whatever. I'll let the SB'rs out there decide if they'd want to spend several thousands of dollars with a guy on EBay, or with other dealers, like Reef, Backscatter, and myself who are well-known in the community and dive several times a week.

I try hard to stock and dive what I sell for the most part. I've written a blog and helped many, many divers, whether or not they have bought from me.

Jack

Jack, I am not trying to start a piss war, if your thing is trashing others in order to self promote yourself, so be it, people will make you out for what you are, but you better get your crap together if you think you can trash talk Aquatica on my watch, As I recall, not too long ago, you seemed pretty eager to become an Aquatica dealer, I see we did the right thing in not opening you up as one.

Experience has long taught me that it’s much better to take the high road when dealing with the public.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom