Next Florida Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff127

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Chelsea (the girlfriend) and I are once again planning another trip to Florida this coming spring. This year we are planning on spending several days in North/Central Florida for some diving and dive training. She is considering taking an AOW course and I'm looking for either a rescue or cavern course.

You guys and girls have any suggestions on locations that would be good for both diving and instruction? We will be arriving on the afternoon of March 1st (maybe a day earlier, but we won't know until that week) and leaving for Ft. Myers on the morning of the 4th.

Chelsea is still not super comfortable in the water, so easy diving would be preferable.

Thanks again!

-Geoff

The BEST places to dive would be on the east coast of Florida. I like diving Boynton Bch, and Pompano Bch. Jupiter is also great but I dont recommend it for someone who isnt very comfortable underwater.
The gulf side has far less visibility and you have to take a long boat trip to get any depth above 50'. (I love it for spearfishing but it is not the best you can get)
You also have many springs, cavern and caves in north FL but again this probably isnt the best place for new divers to explore.
When the time gets a little closer I post up again and I will see if I can join you.

Geoff,

Crystal River... lots of places to dive, fresh water, no waves, no major temperature changes... 70 F give or take... a lot like the St. Lawrence but gentler in nature. Super easy diving.

Pensacola is a great destination with good diving and beach side recreation to fill the surface time. We'd love to have you come up for some diving. It is Gulf diving, but we have plenty of calm days and easy sites. Pensacola is the closest approach of deep water so we have clear vis and lots of fish. We also offer instruction and specialties. Check us out on the web ( www.drdive.com ), or give us a call.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

Hey Geoff! Been awhile. I remember you laughing at me freezing my butt off last year on that gulf dive with Ty. Yes I am wearing my dry suit this winter. :D

I've heard good things about Pensacola for gulf diving. Ginnie Spring in High Springs, Blue Grotto in Williston and Alexander Spring in Ocala are nice for OW divers. The GF will like Alexander especially.

Good to hear from you again Mark, and good to hear you finally started to dive with this rumored drysuit you own.

Right now I think we are leaning towards Crystal River, like Picken's suggested. That way we can dive, and Chelsea fell in love with the manatee pictures and would love to do a snorkel tour. Anyone have any favorite shops or instructors in the Crystal River area? I did the snorkel tour with Bird's Underwater, but it was only a snorkel tour so I never interacted with their scuba operation. All I know is to avoid American Pro based on what I've read on this board.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Geoff

Geoff,

There's absolutely nothing wrong with American Pro Diving. They are the only operator I've used when in Crystal River area. I've had everything from my kids (11, 11 and 13 at the time) taking Jr. Open Water through large groups. Rarely have I had issues with them and when I've had issues, 9 times out of 10 it's because of something I've done (eg. running late, forgotten gear, incorrectly marked down something, etc.) and American Pro was more than willing to work with me.

Now let's talk about the instructors and dive masters that work for American Pro... all top notch people that are just worth their weight in gold. People are what make an operation special -- there's no exception at American Pro. Quinn, Sean, Dude, pretty much everyone at American Pro is just a hoot and nice as can be as well.

Oh, and I was just down there last July (2008) for yet another OW student and my daughters diving on Rainbow River, Devil's Den, etc. ... yep, all through American Pro. It was an awesome trip. Pictures and write-up on Zen Diving... Annual Pickens Gang Dive Trip - Zendiving. Kudos to Dude and Quinn for their assist with the munchkins!

Bird's Underwater is also another good operation but I've not had personal experience with them.

I will throw my hat in the ring for Lloyd Bailey at Lloyd Baileys Scuba Gainesville. Lloyd is a well respected cave diver. Your GF can do her AOW, and there is a ton of springs and caves in this area.

Best,
Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom