Nightmare on Dive Shop Street

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never EVER use the words "online", "internet" or even "e-mail" when in a dive shop.

That being said, my local shop out here in CA could give a hoot where the stuff comes from, they give excellent service to everyone, which is why they have my business.:wink:

I had foul service from this outfit. Basically the owner was touting courses at rock bottom prices (if you call 200 rock bottom) and then requiring you purchase the student books, log book and weight etc etc but not telling you this until you were in the course. I fought and got my money back (after having him call the cops on me for refusing to leave his shop without my refund - which he couldn't process because his accountant wasn't there), complained to SSI and they issued me a credit with another dive store who were wonderful (Aquaventures in Cockeysville, MD).

I whole heartedly agree with Bob3 - you mention the magic phrase "internet" and poof your iced.:eek:

I feel lucky that the LDS's that I have dealt with don't seem to be such.....well you can fill in the blank with what ever descriptin you like. I bought my regs and computer locally and the two BC's that I have bought I bought online and also a set of regs for my wife. The owner of the LDS that my stuff came from was amazed at what good deals I managed to come up with and only his daughter ever commented on the lack of warranty that comes wth buying online. He even matched an online price a Sea Life camera, but he really didn't have much of a choice since the link to the online retailer was found on Sea Life's webpage.

Of course I think a little bit of the positive attitude that I recieved came fromt he fact that I dropped $1500 on my regs and computer, not to mention the $500 or so I have spent in the last year there on other little things. I bought from him becuase of his attitude and service i recieved and also becuase he never seems to mind me stopping by to chat about diving.

Hey, Bob 3:

I used to be like you!! I was diving before there were any LDS's. Then did my share of commercial work. Now my wife and I really enjoy the sport and all the cool people we continue to meet. Also, I'll buy online in a New York minute. Also I'll buy in a heartbeat from an LDS if it is a good deal. Walked into one of my favorite LDS two weeks ago to buy a diaphram for BC. They had a great sale going on BC. Bought the new BC and of course they comped me the valve for the other BC.

The condescending LDS or LDS owner will not make it!!! At least not here in Texas.

I've been employed in a service oriented business all my life and I will get up and walk out of any business that treats me like I spend foreign currency. I havnt bought any scuba gear on-line only because I bought all my stuff prior to getting a computer, yes its all a bit older than might be popular but it all still works well so I still service it and dive it.
Bill

Most of the divers I know are computer literate. It may be co-incidence but in my area nothing seems to kill a LDS faster than the justifiable critisism of an irate diver on the dive forums. Shortly after divers start talking to one another about the rip off prices and poor service of a particular shop that shop will close.
When buying any high priced branded article any buyer is expected to shop around. I find and record the lowest price, I offer the LDS a chance to match the price. If its approx within $10 I will give the LDS the business. Thats the best favour they are going to get, if thats not good enough their running a free museum.
If they give good service you tell your friends and you recommend them for their good points. If they give bad service name and shame them, the sooner they shut the better.:boom: :D

I bought my reg (Aqualung Legend LX Supreme), BC (Cressi-Sub J-115), compass (Suunto SK-7) and soft weights from them (and got certified there too).

Everything else was purchased online. My LDS knows this and has never tried to make me feel guilty about it. Hell, they've never even tried to sell me anything, I wanted to support them and buy my reg and BC locally for service reasons. After reading all of the less than positive experiences with LDS's, I'm feeling lucky.

The shop: Gone To Sea Scuba in N. Olmsted, OH.

bmuise once bubbled...
I whole heartedly agree with Bob3 - you mention the magic phrase "internet" and poof your iced.:eek:
I got kicked out of a class when the lds owner found out I had bought two computers online. Here is my suggestion if asked where you bought it lie. Tell them on vacation in some place far away from where you live an add my old one broke-lost it-or a dog on the beach stole it. But LIE! The truth doe's not help you in this scenario- most of the time. But it helps to add it was a local dive shop in the place you just lied about. So be carefull with the lies they gotta stay consistent. Do not pull a slick willy because you will get busted. Like he did!

That you got kicked out of class because you bought something online.

To tell you the truth, I think that LDS did you a favor by distancing themselves from you. Did they refund your money for the class?

...If so, not only were they "Class A Stupid," but probably very damn close to being out of business.

You deserve a better dive shop... Go elsewhere... And make sure to take your checkbook with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom