Nikon 8400 - going to be an awesome camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeROB:
I agree with you. It is optics which matter.

I do agree too.
I owned Nikon cameras for 30 years and bought them for the optics.
Now that I got involved in "amateur" underwater photography I still look for the best affordable kit.
The 24mm (equivalent) is very promissing and a camera that will probably sell for less than 1000 USD is tempting.
I can't afford to drown a D-SLR so I go for the next best thing.
I do it for fun not for bread...
It depends on each person's priorities...

Wich you good pixels...

Danny-Diver:
lukeROB:
I agree with you. It is optics which matter.

I do agree too.
I owned Nikon cameras for 30 years and bought them for the optics.
Now that I got involved in "amateur" underwater photography I still look for the best affordable kit.
The 24mm (equivalent) is very promissing and a camera that will probably sell for less than 1000 USD is tempting.
I can't afford to drown a D-SLR so I go for the next best thing.
I do it for fun not for bread...
It depends on each person's priorities...

Wich you good pixels...

The MSRP of all the 8MP "prosumer" cam's is the same as the D70 or D Rebal (6MP version).

onbelaydave:
The MSRP of all the 8MP "prosumer" cam's is the same as the D70 or D Rebal (6MP version).

Um yes the D70 body alone has MSRP of US$999 and with single 18-70mm (eqv 28-105mm) lens kit US$1299.

The CP8400 has a MSRP of US$899.

Considering this I really cannot see how you can say they are similary priced. Expecially for underwater use as a housing and ports is going to be far more expensive for the DSLR camera.

The kit lens is not a 24mm lens and increasing lens range (wide and tele requires much much more expense). Auxillary lens can be used for the 'prosumer' cams that cost a hell of a lot less.

Considering that ike's housing will be about US$600 I could have the 8400 underwater - with 24mm coverage for MSRP of US$1500 - only $200 more than the D70 and lens alone - no housing etc.

Why make such a strange statement when this camera may be a very good option for many people who don't have the resources to invest in a DSLR system?

DesertEagle:
Now you can get the D rebel kit for about $800. I'll take that over the 8400.

The MSRP for the drebel is $999 for the kit. You can't really compare with a different price then the MSRP set by the manufacturer.

Hell I can get a 20D ('that fell off the back of a truck') for $150. You have to compare apples to apples. Beside you are still going to be shelling out far more for a housing ports and andy additional lens. When you go anywhere you have to take around a massive camera bag with all you kit.

If your resources are unlimited then I don't really understand why anybody would bother with a Drebel. Just get a 20D they are only $500 more. The housing ports etc will be similar in cost. If you have to money to go SLR get the best body you can with the best lenses - the price difference becomes negligeble when you are spending $4K+.

If your are doing it for image quailty and shutter speed purposes then just get an SLR film camera you will have far superior resolution, noise and shutter speed for much less than the equivalent DSLR. You then say the other advantages of digital means that I would rather get an DSLR, instant preview etc. Now you are doing exactly what I am - selecting what suits YOU. You have made a tradeoff between image quailty, WA ability, camera speed and absolute resolution to get other features like instant preview, and flash memory (instead of 36 shots). My trade-off is very similar to this, I just have less money.

lukeROB:
If your are doing it for image quailty and shutter speed purposes then just get an SLR film camera you will have far superior resolution, noise and shutter speed for much less than the equivalent DSLR. You then say the other advantages of digital means that I would rather get an DSLR, instant preview etc. .

It's funny, I just 2 months ago decided to house my Fuji S2 to try it out vs. my tried & true housed Nikon N90s (Housing & Camera body bought on e-Bay < $1000.0). A lot is said about the "review" feature of digital leading to better photo's (you can't "preview" a shot until you've taken it) and thats great for a static subject while you twiddle with a bunch of dials and waste a lot of air deciding which shot is best or do I need to try another 5 shots on this strand of kelp, in the mean time missing a school of batrays or whale sharks that are'nt going to sit still for you to "preview" your shots ? I found that a housed DSLR is just another housed camera as is ANY housed camera. There is no "advantage" to digital vs. film except in developing costs. As I said before, what are you looking for ? Another camera isn't going to improve your shots. If you aren't satisfied with your lack of "cropping" ability, than just get closer !

onbelaydave:
A lot is said about the "review" feature of digital leading to better photo's (you can't "preview" a shot until you've taken it) and thats great for a static subject while you twiddle with a bunch of dials and waste a lot of air deciding which shot is best or do I need to try another 5 shots on this strand of kelp, in the mean time missing a school of batrays or whale sharks that are'nt going to sit still for you to "preview" your shots ? I found that a housed DSLR is just another housed camera as is ANY housed camera. There is no "advantage" to digital vs. film except in developing costs.

Dave - you know you are moving slowly in the right direction - but it is going to be kicking and screaming all the way.... I think I will find a few of your older posts before you got the S2 :11:

A few things I see as huge advantages:

#1 What is the point of taking a photo of something, getting it wrong, and not knowing (i.e eveytime you miss your setting on a film camera). At least with preview you get a chance to know you got the shot - or at least a usable frame. However, I rarely use preview for this because....

#2 Number of shots - I have a 2 GB card. That is a 156 shots on a S2 in RAW mode. Now I have no worries about running out of shots on a dive (sometimes multiple dives). That means more bracketing and experimentation without worrying I have to save 2 or 3 of my 36 frames for that final subject that may or may not turn up at the safety stop. I do lots of 'lighting angles with digital' I never would have done with film

#3 Preview blues and exposure for wide angle. Love this.... When I jump in I can take a few shots to make sure I have the 'right' color blue for wide angle. And also make sure I have my strobes dialed in for when I have a subject I am ready to shoot.

There are others, but these 3 are worth every cent I save on digital over film :)

That's why I bit the bullet and housed the Fuji ! (I've got a few pic's from it in my D2D galleries as well as here) However, I still haven't seen any "advantage", my N90s was awesome as far as quality and it's metering system rarely "wasted" a shot due to exposure (backscatter and composition is another matter). You have the advantage in living in a more critter enhanced environment to make use of a 2 GB card. I only wished I had more than 36 exp. on one dive w/ film. However in a more controlled environment "aka" topside and landscapes, I haven't taken taken out a film cam this year. Thanks for the reply; missed you on the Truth Trip !!!

onbelaydave:
As I said before, what are you looking for ? Another camera isn't going to improve your shots. If you aren't satisfied with your lack of "cropping" ability, than just get closer !

I was merely explaining that the 8MP sensors were larger than the 5MP and the pixel density was similar. I liked the look of this camera and the thread was suddenly changed from an interest in a particular camera to debate about 'the megapixel race'. Then a debate that somehow you believe that the 8400 was comparable in price to a DSLR.

Dave you were the one that got me on my rant. :wink: LOL. Now you are agreeing with me. You made a strange statement that a D70 or Drebel is the same cost as the 8400. I never said anything about a camera improving my shots. I'm pretty happy with where I am.

I never said I wanted the 8400 for the 8MP sensor - I wanted the WA to as you say get closer. I have a 3MP cam and never complain about it - I just get closer (I don't bother with a shot if I think I am going to have to crop it). However to my A70 does not have a 24mm lens, it does not have a RAW mode, it does not have a flash hot-shoe, and many other features I would like for both land and UW shooting. I am on a budget that does not allow a DSLR.

I dont want to argee film verses digital, I was just using it as a comparision to the fact that when purchasing a camera there are many more considerations than just 'What is the best'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom