Nikon annoucnes the D300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
The D200 has wireless capability. You have to buy an optional transmitter, but it works very well. I do not know if in either case one attach the transmitter and then it would fit and working inside a housing. However with 8GB cards, I'm not sure why one has to take the camera out of the housing between dives over one day.
Because I want to see what I shot while I remember what I was doing when I took the shot. Also so I can start adjusting the RAW images while doing the surface interval. If I wait until the end of the day I might have 250 or more images to look at and that is too much at the end of a full day of diving.

I will have to look into the wireless connection for the D200 - the things you learn on SB! Of course still have to change/charge the batteries as I don't think a single charge will last the day as I have never tried, always charge twice a day.

Darnold9999:
... Of course still have to change/charge the batteries as I don't think a single charge will last the day as I have never tried, always charge twice a day.
I've been looking into this. I assume there'll be an eqivalent to the D200's EH-6 AC Power Supply Adapter. Does anyone know if this charges the batteries as well as powers the camera? If it does, then it would be easy to put together a system that you could charge on the surface without ever opening it up

Wolverine:
D3 for topside, 2 D200s for U/W.. thats the plan...

Wait, that means I have to start buying full-frame lenses again! Argh........

:) Its drooling time again.

Forget about the previous cameras, they all meant to be "transitional", the FF era has finally come. Starting from D3, all the models following the series will be using the FX format.

Some slides for the presentation:
http://e-photographia.smugmug.com/gallery/3354617#P-1-9

alo100:
Forget about the previous cameras, they all meant to be "transitional", the FF era has finally come. Starting from D3, all the models following the series will be using the FX format.

Some slides for the presentation:
http://e-photographia.smugmug.com/gallery/3354617#P-1-9

They are going to have to add a significant amount of resolution to the picture on the D3 before I would bite on the $5K price. I don't understand why they didn't add resolution. As it is, it will work with the FX lenses at 12 MP, but when you put a DX lense on it, the resolution drops significantly.

With Canon now topping 20MP for their Mark III camera, Nikon needs to do something more than releasing a new camera with the same resolution as the previous generation.

rjsimp:
They are going to have to add a significant amount of resolution to the picture on the D3 before I would bite on the $5K price. I don't understand why they didn't add resolution. As it is, it will work with the FX lenses at 12 MP, but when you put a DX lense on it, the resolution drops significantly.

With Canon now topping 20MP for their Mark III camera, Nikon needs to do something more than releasing a new camera with the same resolution as the previous generation.

I think most customers who by these cameras are very well aware that there really is no need for more MP. But I would not be surprised if there is a D3x announced in the very near future with 16+MP. The most interesting thing with the new models inmo is 14-bit RAW and the new AF.

/christian

I’m about to make the DSLR jump for my underwater photography. A lot of my friends switched at eight meg from 35mm film (some even at six megs). Even my pickiest friends (some of whom are high end natural history photogs that I work with) made switch at 12 megs and the new 16 megs cameras are replacing larger format cameras.

Face it, 20 meg is always as good as 35mm film (that’s what we scan 35mm images at) and 20 meg is way better than 35mm film. In fact for a “typical” handheld quality shot five to ten megapixels is more like it, making the high end cameras of today the equivalent of using a 70mm back on a Hasselblad in the old days.

While I have no complaints with the manufacturers giving me larger format quality in a 35mm camera size, I wonder what the optimum trade-off is between cost, speed and the number of pixels. I was almost always happy with my 35mm cameras. I’ve got two large format cameras with housings, but I rarely used them. Face it, practice and familiarity go a long way toward getting the shot you want and so not using them is kind of a vicious cycle.

I guess I’m caught on the horns of that old technology dilemma, every day I wait makes me glad that I waited and ever roll that I send out for processing pisses me off.

Christian:
I think most customers who by these cameras are very well aware that there really is no need for more MP. But I would not be surprised if there is a D3x announced in the very near future with 16+MP. The most interesting thing with the new models inmo is 14-bit RAW and the new AF.

/christian

Well.. I would agree with you depending on what you are doing with the image. For me, I may be doing a 20x30 poster sized print and 12MP is not enough to print at 300dpi. 20MP isn't enough either, but it is closer and potentially better.

The other issue here is that the D3 allows use of the DX lenses, however, your resolution is also decreased to an image closer to 8MP camera. So, if I wanted to use my 10.5mm lense with the D3, I would only be getting 8MP which is significantly less than desireable. For a $5000 camera where the competition is over the 20MP range, I am surprised is all and wouldln't go for the D3 for my purposes. I would rather get the D300 and wait for something like a D3x that may have more MP down the road.

Thalassamania:
I've been looking into this. I assume there'll be an eqivalent to the D200's EH-6 AC Power Supply Adapter. Does anyone know if this charges the batteries as well as powers the camera? If it does, then it would be easy to put together a system that you could charge on the surface without ever opening it up
Doesn't charge the battery.

Darnold9999:
Doesn't charge the battery.
Damn ... is there an accessory battery pack available?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom