Nikon D100 with Fisheye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 12-24 is made for the 1.5X. So you are the field of vision they are advertising. That is what the DX stands for.

Daniel

Geez, I wish I could answer you, ssra, but I'm not that knowledgeable about the technical details. I think there are plenty of people on this board who can give you a better explanation.

Are you thinking about going to the "other" dark side??????

As posted in Stevesdigicams

"Atypical of lenses with similar focal lengths, the DX 12-24mm f/4G lens is very compact and lightweight, offering a 2X Zoom ratio with an unprecedented angle-of-view from 61o at 24mm to 99 o at 12mm. This range of angle-of-view is comparable to that of an 18-36mm lens on the 35mm format. The lens also incorporates many of Nikon's advanced technologies including Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SI-C), Silent Wave Motor Technology (SWM), Extra Low Dispersion Optical Glass (ED) and a G-Type design. "

Gee, lets see 1.5 X 12=18 1.5X24=36. The lens still performs like a 18-36 on a film cam. There is no way to factor out the 1.5 magnification factor and further in the article calls this an "advantage". It is for telephoto shooters, but for WA this lens will have to do ( but a 18mm is pretty wide). For the full review of the lens read HERE

OK, so if 12mm (dSLR) or 18mm (35mm film) will give you 99 degree angle of view on land, I assume that underwater, the angle of view would be something like 70 ish degree, may be even less. So I guess I am stuck with fisheye type lens then if I want 90 degree underwater view like the wetmount WAL with my Oly C5050 or the WAL with Inon Domeport. Hmmm, I thought with dSLR, I would be able to go wide(r) than my current setup.
marpacifica, I have been thinking about dSLR, budget is not a big consideration (not as much anyway) but I am not quite yet convince that I am willing to trade versatility for quality of the camera since I am taking pictures just for fun. Of course I do feel a little inadequate next to my dive buddy's SLR system but oh well...

ssra,

Well, if you're taking photos just for fun, the 5050 with its versatility should suit you just fine! And may I add that you take some really nice shots with your setup. If you're going for publication quality images, I think that's where the dSLRs come in handy, or if the budget for your hobby is generous. Even with my upcoming S2/Aquatica rig, I'm thinking about bringing the PT-010 (w/o external strobes or tray) along to take shots in tight corners where the BEHEMOTH Aquatica could never venture.

mar

I think the only reason I am even thinking of dSLR is macro shots. I think about 80% of my pictures are macro shots. While it is easy to compose with LCD monitor, it is pretty much impossible to get an accurate feel for the proper depth of field which is quite critical. I also would like something with a bit better magnification than what I can with Oly C5050 and stacked macro lens.
Of course I am sure that if I go down with a 105mm macro lens, I am sure a whale shark or something equally big will make an appearance, just to annoy me, that's why it is going to be difficult to let go of the Oly C5050 with all the goodies wetmount lens.
I am not sure how I am going to like diving with just wide angle lens or fisheye lens. I do take a few wide angle shots here and there but most of the time I just shoot wide angle when something unexpected happened to come by rather than preplanning to shoot wide angle the whole dive and I definitely don't want to dive with 2 cameras.

woops...posted message in wrong place...have now removed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom