Nikon D300 Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently use the Aquaview enlarger with my D200 housing - which I have been told will work with the new housings for the D3 and D300, so I intend on continuing to use it. For me, it was well worth the expense, as it really helped with focusing with macro shots, and with framing on my wide angle shots. I haven't used the INON 45 deg finder, so I can't say how well it performs. The way I see it is there are benefits to having the 45 degree or the straight on enlarger. The 45 deg can be beneficial if you're shooting a lot of macro so you don't have to drop down as low if you're in a tight place, but I think I'd still prefer the straight on for shooting wide as it seems to be easier to me to eye a shot and then frame it the way I see with the straight on finder.

The Seatool is plastic....Seacam is aluminum.
I think not, my wife's 400D Seatool housing is definitely machined from aluminium and pictures of all the unpainted Seatool housings for 400D, 40D, and D200 I have seen clearly show they are made from aluminium. Here's an example:

xti.frame.jpg

It is frustrating as heck.

I was going with the D200 (Backscatter) with the Light & Motion Titan for the D200 with the idea that it had room for future models (D300-400-500 whatever) as it was touted as being "Electronic" and figured they'd be able to 'Shiv' the spacing differences.
By the time I was ready to go, the D300 rumors started and the "Live Preview" it was something I could wait for and then get the Titan housing as the bodies were about the same..

Turns out they are not and L&M won't be doing a housing for the D300.. so going with the Sea & Sea with the D300 and 2 Inon 240z stobes...

Getting the S&S housing today (supposedly according to UPS), taking it for a dive this Sunday... heheh... keeping my fingers crossed...
Until they get each pixel to focus independently, this should probably do it for me... way more than I can wrap my head around, hopefully will get a few good shots...

but it is frustrating... as I was ready for the D200 (now use it for above water shots) and by the time I was ready, the D300 came out..
Sigh, just waiting for the D400.. heheheh... NOT !!.... :cool:)

Ross is correct, the Seatool D300 will be aluminum. I may have confused Dave, because there was definitely discussion of a plastic back for the d300 to lighten weight, but Seatool sharpened their pencil and got the weight down with thinner wall thicknesses. They did build the macro ports out of machined delrin to try to balance the housing better in the water.

Here are some not so good pics of the finished, but unpainted housing. We'll be getting one this week, and product shots will follow.

D300T1_400.jpg

d300dw01_800.jpg

d300db04_300.jpg

d300db03_300.jpg

Will the D300 Seatool still be optical strobe only, no hotshoe connector?

It will be available with Optical Connectors, or Optical Connectors + Nikonos Bulkheads.

It will also be available with a .8x Pickupfinder (not as strong as Sea & Sea uses, but still allows corner-corner viewing), the Inon 45, and the Inon Straight Viewfinders.

We'll have one on display at Our World Underwater, and I'll make sure Jason gets a picture of it for you guys.

Im definitely excited to get my hands on one of those Seatool beauties!

hi,

i've recently upgraded from a D50 to the D300 and purchased the Ikelite housing for it (my 4th Ikelite housing). Ikelite housings are Ikelite housings but I've never had a leak problem and Ikelite housings are still good value.

I have a Ikelite DS125/Sync cord and an Ikelite D50/Slave sensor and have ordered a backup DS125 head/Manual controller - plently of flash and flash level control for any situation - though still learning how to effectively use the flash for wide angle...the built in slave sensors or the built in LED modeling lights of other strobes make those models seem appealing to me but I just stayed with Ikelite because I know how it all works together...

Liveview is kind of cool but I really can not imagine attempting to use it underwater...I need to keep things much more simple (like OK, just depress the shutter and shoot) But that could just be a learning issue...

OK - my first post!

I'm waiting for my 3rd Ike housing to be delivered.
There are many good things with the Ike housing, like:

* you see when you have a leak and often this is soon enough to save the camera and housing.

* the cable TTL

* the lower price. not only on the housing but also on the ports.

* the great flash compensator on the back of the housing that doubles as a manual setting.

* Finally they have started to support one system for all ports.
No need to buy one port for each lens, instead they have a modular
system.
Yep, you will get more o-rings that might leak but...

and much more!

But there are also some drawbacks.

* the cheesy system for zoom clamps etc.
no idea if this is better on other systems though.

* no focus light mounting on top of the housing.
solvable but still annoying.

* shutter control is not half press distinct.
With thick gloves it's really hard to do half press.

* some controls are very close to the others.
Especially on D200/D300 housing.

* no 90 deg viewfinder.
on the other hand, if you check the price on the
90 deg viewfinders on other housings you realise
that they cost almost as much
as the whole Ike housing...

* really hard to see corner to corner in the viewfinder.

* finally: as far as I know there is no way to alter between LiveView and viewfinder.
I mean to set the D300 in LiveView mode you need to press the small button
and turn the knob that no control reaches.
Does any housing support this!?

/Fota

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom