nikon d70 w/10.5 fisheye or 15sigma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the 10.5 and the 12-24 and hardly ever use the 12-24.
Previously using the 12-24 behind the S&S compact dome I hated the lack of close focus.
If the new Nexus dome allows of close focus it may become a good lens.

Karl,

Would you recomend the 15 to someone like yourself who already had the 10.5 and 12-24?

The Hamburger:
I have the 10.5 and the 12-24 and hardly ever use the 12-24.
Previously using the 12-24 behind the S&S compact dome I hated the lack of close focus.
If the new Nexus dome allows of close focus it may become a good lens.

Karl,

Would you recomend the 15 to someone like yourself who already had the 10.5 and 12-24?

Tough question.....the only reason I got one was because it was sharper than the 12-24mm with the small Ike dome and it focus' closer....Now I've got the large Ike dome and the 12-24 is much better IMHO.....for a dive site that I know that I'll only be shooting WA and CFWA, I'll probably take the 15 for it's closer focus capability.....If I'm unsure or shooting sharks, etc...I'll take the 12-24......after diving a site that has really good CFWA, I'll go back with the 10.5mm...you can get skunked with that lens on some sites....just too wide sometimes....

I probably didn't answer your question, but there is no answer :10:

Karl

I think the biggest problem with 12-24mm is that it is very picky about domeport combination.
I only tried it once in a swimming pool with my new Subal FE2 dome so far and it looks very promising. It can focus closer than 6 inches from the dome easily without a diopter.
With Sea and Sea compact domeport, without a diopter, I could not focus anything less than a meter away and with diopter, the cornor is very very soft.
I definitely will be using more now with Subal setup.

I just finished a few days of diving using the Fantasea FD 70 Housing with a 5 inch Dome port and the Sigma 15 mm lens.
Here is a small gallery of the images http://www.pbase.com/hman/red_sea_holiday
Hope you enjoy.
Howard www.fantasea.com

gianster:
I know this has been discussed over and over again so bare with me. I am good on the macro side but have to decide very quick on wide angle side b/t the 10.5, 12-24, or 15sigma. I am going to the T&C's very soon and want to purchase a wal for my d70. For all you d70 users out there, what lense would you start out using for wide angle shots. If you could do it all over again what wa lense would you purchase.
Thanks for any response,
Gianster

do it from the other side. each port is designed for one size lens. a zoom-lens is always a compromise. if you go for real quallity, get a fixed size lens matching your dome port.

at the moment im using a nikon 17-35mm zoom but will change to the calculated 20mm lens.

(f100/17-35mm/105mm micro/seacam housing/2x flash 625ws)

Back
Top Bottom