Nikon D90.......?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry WetLens, I have to disagree that the 10-17 is not a versatile lens when considering macro photography. The great thing about the Tokina 10-17 (or the Nikon 10.5 FE) is it's close focusing ability, allowing you to get right up to your subject, to get some very interesting wide angle macro or close focus wide angle shots, especially when used with one of the mini domes, such as the Zen or Aquatica 100mm dome. The small domes allow you to bring your strobes in close enough to properly light the subject when you are shooting at close range. While it won't replace a dedicated macro lens, such as the 60mm or 105mm, used alone or with a 1.4 teleconverter, the Tokina 10-17 can be versatile enough to take some pretty interesting macro images.

Here is a link to an article on these small domes and using the 10-17 or 10.5 FE for wide angle macro. Thoughts on Mini Domes :: Wetpixel.com You can also search the forums there for more discussions on the 10-17 for wide angle macro.

Hovertonz,
your choice of the Tokina 10-17mm and the Nikon 60mm micro is a perfect choice and there is nothing wrong with it. I guess that about 75% of the underwater photographers use exactly this setup and there is a reason for it... Sooner or later you may buy a 105mm macro lens to get the vantages of a longer distance to "shoot" shy creatures where the longer (20cm/ 7'') minimum focus distance may help. Go with your choice and you won't regrett.
Chris

Chris

Peterbj7: I understand exactly what I bought in the D90 and the lenses I will buy soon. I am only new to underwater photography, not photography itself. I understand the implications of what I am doing, as I do with any ivestment I make.
AussieByron: I have an adequate underwater camera set up to use while I outfit my D90. I will take some time to study and gain knowledge on the housings and lighting systems before I purchase them. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and time, as it is greatly appreciated!
My lens choices are the Tokina 10-17mm and the Nikon 60mm for the underwater.
Wetlens: Thank you for sharing! Funny, I was there in August 2009 also.

Sorry WetLens, I have to disagree that the 10-17 is not a versatile lens when considering macro photography. The great thing about the Tokina 10-17 (or the Nikon 10.5 FE) is it's close focusing ability, allowing you to get right up to your subject, to get some very interesting wide angle macro or close focus wide angle shots, especially when used with one of the mini domes, such as the Zen or Aquatica 100mm dome. The small domes allow you to bring your strobes in close enough to properly light the subject when you are shooting at close range. While it won't replace a dedicated macro lens, such as the 60mm or 105mm, used alone or with a 1.4 teleconverter, the Tokina 10-17 can be versatile enough to take some pretty interesting macro images.

Here is a link to an article on these small domes and using the 10-17 or 10.5 FE for wide angle macro. Thoughts on Mini Domes :: Wetpixel.com You can also search the forums there for more discussions on the 10-17 for wide angle macro.
Just went there and read the whole article. Thanks for sharing the link!

Got a question for everyone....I'm planning to purchase either an ikekite or Nauticam housing for my D90. For the time being I plan to use my Nikon 60mm Micro lens with it. Checking on the Ikelite website they recommend a flat port for use with this lens.
My question is should I be using a flat port or a dome port? I understand the domes reduce/remove refraction as light hits the dome perpendicular to the surface of the dome.
I also plan to buy a Tokina 10-17mm lens at some point. With the 60mm micro I dont plan to take close ups only and I'm wondering if a dome port would be the way to go?

I think Canon currently have the edge over Nikon in cropped-sensor cameras (T2i compared with D70) so I would probably go with that, though I haven't researched housing implications because I have no plans to buy for underwater use.

So I didn't buy into a directly obsolete system I would look for a proven camera that is early in its product life, another reason I wouldn't get a D90 - it is due to be replaced shortly and Nikon have already said that the replacement will have substantially more pixels.

What I wrote back in July is now out of date. The D7000 has been announced and reviewed, though I haven't yet been able to find one to buy, and it is a very marked improvement over the D90 which is stopping production. It's not perfect, but it's now one of the best cropped-sensor cameras out there. Not quite at the level of the Canon 7D but not far behind, and ahead of the other Canon crop-sensor cameras. Ahead of the current Nikon D300S as well. I certainly wouldn't invest much money in a D90 or a housing for it at this stage.

Got a question for everyone....I'm planning to purchase either an ikekite or Nauticam housing for my D90. For the time being I plan to use my Nikon 60mm Micro lens with it. Checking on the Ikelite website they recommend a flat port for use with this lens.
My question is should I be using a flat port or a dome port? I understand the domes reduce/remove refraction as light hits the dome perpendicular to the surface of the dome.
I also plan to buy a Tokina 10-17mm lens at some point. With the 60mm micro I dont plan to take close ups only and I'm wondering if a dome port would be the way to go?

Bascially all prime macro lens are behind a flatport and wide angle lens behind a dome.

I would personally look at Aquatica or Nauticam over Ikelite as they a metal housings and have a better build quality at a slightly more price.

If you plan to buy the Tokina 10-17mm at some point I would buy the first one I see which is at a good price as the lens is very popular and might be hard to come across in the near future (already hard to find for the canon mount).

The cheapest option to get you started is buying the flatport for your 60mm. You can shoot with a single strobe with macro very well. Down the track when you get the Tokina 10-17 you buy a dome like an 8 inch and also a second strobe. I personally like the Ikelite DS160/161 and Inon z240 strobes as they have grunt needed especially when its required in wide angle with the Tokina 10-17mm.

Cheers Mark

I just got my D90 and have nothing yet in regards to lenses or housings. I see you guys are recommending the Nikon 60MM. What if I wanted to shoot both Video and photos? What if I saw something I wanted a video and a picture of? Could the 60mm do this pretty well or ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom