Nikon D90.......?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the following lenses/ports for my D90 in a Ikelite housing:
Under/above water use:
Tokina 12-24mm DX wide angle (11-16mm would be ways better for UW!)
Nikon 105mm micro nikkor (non VR, excellent lens)
Nikon Nikkor 18-105mm (the original Kit lens, almost useless under water)

Exclusive land use:
Nikon 70-300mm Tele
Nikon 28-70mm

Remarks:
1. The Tokina 12-24mm lens is a excellent lens on land, but have problems with soft corners - al least- on the Ikelite 6'' dome port. The 11-16mm Tokina is a more fish eye and don't have this problem.
Even with a 3x diopter the corners are still soft.
2. The 18-105mm zoom is a decent lens on land but has nasty distortions on WA what makes her quite useless under water.
3. The 105mm micro nikkor is a excellent lens, a bit slow in aquiring focus.
The new 105mm VR micro nikor ist too fast and a lot of users/owner complain about heavy hunting and "getting seasick" of it.

Instead of the 105mm i would suggest you a 60mm macro lens as the shorter focal lenght make her much more easy to handle than a 105mm tele macro lens.

Chris

Toolboy: Yep, one lens. That's what the question asked, seriously..ha ha ha...really. I asked the question in that way for a specific reason. Last week was my first time ever photography session underwater (Sea & Sea with strobes with macro and wide angle lenses). Came home and immediately purchased a Nikon D90. Whole new world for me and I got to start somewhere. That is why I asked the question that way. Yes I will add more lenses like a macro and wide angle. You say you own three? What are they?

Going by your earlier posting that you wanted one lens as you mainly shoot Sharks (presume Sandtigers) and wrecks. The one lens to start would be a fisheye like the 10-17 or the other several ultra wide angle zooms currently available (dont foget the 10.5mm Nikkor FE).

But thats just the start. You have to look at housings, ports/domes, arms, strobes etc etc etc. Its not a simple as suggesting just one lens but a combination of the other factors to go with that lens.

Ideally a Nikon D90 with FE like 10-17mm you would like to have two powerful strobes to light up large subjects like sharks. The choice of strobes will be subjected to which housing you decide on. Well you go for optical fibre firing or hotshoe wired strobes/housing????

Then it might be dome choices. Will you go with a 8 inch dome or maybe a new 100mm mini dome, even a large glass dome if you have the money.

Then arms might be the next choice. Maybe you bought heavy strobes like Ikelite ds125/160's and need bouyancy arms or you bought lighter inon's which you maybe dont need the extra bouyancy.

So by asking just one question you open yourself up to many more questions which to answer yourself. For a someone starting out it can be overwhelming and everyones situation is different (different shooting style and subjects etc etc).

Regards Mark

Which tends to confirm my view that anyone at this stage who decides to buy camera/housing/etc is very likely wasting his money because he doesn't understand the implications of what he is doing. You'd be amazed how many people buy cropped-sensor DSLRs without even realising there is such a thing as full-frame, with all the lens choice implications that brings. I'd join an active camera club with an underwater section and learn as much as I could before lashing out thousands of $.

peterbj7,
have you ever thought that people may know about full frame sensor cameras and dream to have one, but simply can't afford the extra $$$?
Are you sure that a full frame sensor gives you such a huge advantage shooting underwater to justify at least 1000$ more for the camera?
Underwater photography depend -like land photography as well- from the technique, experience and "artistic eye" and not on the gear you use.

Chris

Which tends to confirm my view that anyone at this stage who decides to buy camera/housing/etc is very likely wasting his money because he doesn't understand the implications of what he is doing. You'd be amazed how many people buy cropped-sensor DSLRs without even realising there is such a thing as full-frame, with all the lens choice implications that brings. I'd join an active camera club with an underwater section and learn as much as I could before lashing out thousands of $.

peterbj7,
have you ever thought that people may know about full frame sensor cameras and dream to have one, but simply can't afford the extra $$$?
Are you sure that a full frame sensor gives you such a huge advantage shooting underwater to justify at least 1000$ more for the camera?
Underwater photography depend -like land photography as well- from the technique, experience and "artistic eye" and not on the gear you use.

Chris

And I'm ignorant and can't find any reference to the terms your all are using (in this thread) - so please... educate me or point me to something that does....

Last edited:
peterbj7,

Chris

Sorry Chris, I'm not saying that either is better, just that they're different and it behoves someone to appreciate that difference before they lash out loads of money. Of course, the important distinctions are not just based on sensor size, but also brand. Nikon lenses, for example, tend to be pretty expensive compared with some others. And as when you buy a camera you're committing yourself to a system, you should understand what that system is and what competing systems are.

As to cost, you may well be right, though it is worth remembering that you can now get a vgc Canon 5D for about the same money as a new D90.

Underwater I would in fact choose a cropped-sensor camera, largely because it can make the whole package that much smaller and lighter. Though that's purely personal preference, and a friend is very happy with his setup based on the full frame Nikon D700. As to brand I don't know, except that I would never buy Sony because of their appalling after-sales service record. I think Canon currently have the edge over Nikon in cropped-sensor cameras (T2i compared with D70) so I would probably go with that, though I haven't researched housing implications because I have no plans to buy for underwater use.

So I didn't buy into a directly obsolete system I would look for a proven camera that is early in its product life, another reason I wouldn't get a D90 - it is due to be replaced shortly and Nikon have already said that the replacement will have substantially more pixels.

Peterbj7: I understand exactly what I bought in the D90 and the lenses I will buy soon. I am only new to underwater photography, not photography itself. I understand the implications of what I am doing, as I do with any ivestment I make.
AussieByron: I have an adequate underwater camera set up to use while I outfit my D90. I will take some time to study and gain knowledge on the housings and lighting systems before I purchase them. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and time, as it is greatly appreciated!
My lens choices are the Tokina 10-17mm and the Nikon 60mm for the underwater.

I just bought my D90 and still have not made a decision on a housing etc. I dive mostly off the coast of NC and photograph mostly sharks and shipwrecks (occasional macro). If you only could choose one lens (multi-purpose), which lens would that be?

I am using a D90 and the Tokina 10-17. Here is a link to some photos of just what you are talking about... NC diving - wrecks and sharks. This is a great combo.

NC Dive 26Aug09 - wetlens' Photos

That said - and after re-reading the last sentance and last couple words of the previous sentance ( (occasional macro). If you only could choose one lens (multi-purpose), which lens would that be? ) - I would likely not start there (10-17). My go-to lens when the answer to the question "Wide Angle or Macro" can't be answered, is my 16-85. The 16 provides a reasonable wide angle (not ultra-wide) and the 85 allows getting pretty close. It does require a +4 diopter, so no over/under shots, but it is a pretty versitile package and fits the bill as a multi-purpose lens. The 10-17 is not.

Back
Top Bottom