Nikon D90.......?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you actually see the D90 screen through the back of the Naticam, or do you have to use the eye piece? I need bifocals to see my camera underwater, and I do not want to have to put the camera up to my eye.

Using the large screen "live view" on the back of the D90 underwater was a huge failure for me. The problem is the "auto focus" that occurs, it results in huge shutter lag, and failure to focus the camera well, such that all my underwater pictures were out of focus. To get the feel of this, put your camera in the housing and try using "live view" to take pictures in your own home (above water); it just does not work. My recommendation: do not use the live view function underwater with this camera.

Using the large screen "live view" on the back of the D90 underwater was a huge failure for me. The problem is the "auto focus" that occurs, it results in huge shutter lag, and failure to focus the camera well, such that all my underwater pictures were out of focus. To get the feel of this, put your camera in the housing and try using "live view" to take pictures in your own home (above water); it just does not work. My recommendation: do not use the live view function underwater with this camera.

I've noticed the same problem topside with my Pentax in Live View. I appreciate the information.

On the other hand you have to use the liveview if your going to shoot video on the D90. I find it quicker to focus through the lens and then turn the live view on. Another thing to look out for is leaving the liveview on for periods of time. The Sensor heats up and there is a count down on the liveview for when it turns itself off to cool down. I find that by shooting alot of short clips and turning off the liveview inbetween shoots also reduces the sensor from heating up. Dont what the liveview to turn itself off just at that point where something special happens.

Regards Mark

Can you actually see the D90 screen through the back of the Naticam, or do you have to use the eye piece? I need bifocals to see my camera underwater, and I do not want to have to put the camera up to my eye.
The apparent distance of the viewfinder is relatively large. With
my camera, it's at infinity. And the camera has an adjustable
diopter, so you should be able to set things up to work just fine
through the viewfinder. BTW, I think a better prescription mask
setup for a photographer is to have bifocal in just one eye, the
one you don't use on the viewfinder. Mine is setup that way, and
it works well.

Chuck

I just bought my D90 and still have not made a decision on a housing etc. I dive mostly off the coast of NC and photograph mostly sharks and shipwrecks (occasional macro). If you only could choose one lens (multi-purpose), which lens would that be?

I just bought my D90 and still have not made a decision on a housing etc. I dive mostly off the coast of NC and photograph mostly sharks and shipwrecks (occasional macro). If you only could choose one lens (multi-purpose), which lens would that be?

Tokina 10-17 FE, then 60mm for macro.

If your into shooting Sharks and Wrecks I would choose the 10-17mm Tokina also. I have a lots of Sharks Shots taken with it and the Nikon D90 in my flickr (link below) so you can see what it can produce.

Regards Mark

I went to the flicker link and was very impressed. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

one lense?.......hahahaha......really........Seriously.........it also depends on the lighting system you go for.......I presently have 3 lenses...2 ports......and it is not enough.......

Toolboy: Yep, one lens. That's what the question asked, seriously..ha ha ha...really. I asked the question in that way for a specific reason. Last week was my first time ever photography session underwater (Sea & Sea with strobes with macro and wide angle lenses). Came home and immediately purchased a Nikon D90. Whole new world for me and I got to start somewhere. That is why I asked the question that way. Yes I will add more lenses like a macro and wide angle. You say you own three? What are they?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom