Nikon F100 / $4,000 housing .. NO WAY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaucho,

I thought you had a Hasselblad 903SWC. I do not think there is a housing for those...

Joewr

Originally posted by Gaucho
I own a couple of Nikons and was thinking of a housing (probably for my F5). This $1500 case that you are mentioning, can you use is with a regular UW strobe or do you need another special case for a land based flash like the SB28?

I just got an F-5 last week so I wouldn't have to keep taking my F-100 in and out of the housing. Of course I wanted an F-5 anyway ;-}. The Aquatica F-5 housing is actually a little better than the one for the F-100 and it's about the same price. The good thing is (if I decide to get one ;-} ), it takes the same ports and acessories that I already have. I just have to decide which I want to use as a land camera and which to use for UW. Maybe I'll put them both in a housing and get a D-1X :-0.
Oh, and yes the Aquatica takes standard Nikon type UW strobes. I use SB-105 and an Ikelite SS100a
Dive Safe,
Rooster

I ditto Joewr's recommendations on Martin Edge's and Jim Church's books. Another one I like is Norbert Wu's How to Photograph Underwater. There are others, but I tend to go back to these three often.

Rooster

an F5 and an F100, you luck dog... just a personall thing I MUCH prefer the 100 over the 5. And the only thing the 5 does that the 100 does not is the mirror lock... which I would never use... and quite honestly I think the 100 works so much better for fast moving objects (at least in my experience) I just always thought of the 5 as a studio camera...

that's pretty cool though to have both... I thought about it for quite some time and considered the 5 to be the top of the line... until I finally got my hands on the 100

the weight alone sold me on it... I sure wouldn't complain to have both though... :D

Making my girlfriend pick me up a book on her way home from work today (I've been sick all week)

Plutocrats! The two of you are plutocrats! Besides my Nikonos, my only Nikon camera is my FE, purchased in 1980--no AF lenses,no multi-zone light metering, or any of that great stuff you guys take for granted! But I still have my first camera, a Rollieflex that I bought when I was in high school--and Rooster knows how long ago that was--does that count?

Seriously, I have been looking at a new Nikon and a housing for it because I really would like to try focusing by viewing instead of by estimating (a fancy word for guessing where I am concerned). I have looked at the 90 series Nikon, the F100 and the F5 and each has its virtues. The viewfinder on the F5 is the brightest I have ever seen. So I have to unravel the ego and the practical and get to a decision one of these days. But, as I have commented elsewhere, I have long gestation periods when I buy things like cameras--and I love the hunt.

However, Wheezy, I am leaning toward the F100 and a Sea & Sea housing. Leaning, not falling...yet!

Nice talking with you guys--and, Rooster, I will be asking you a million questions about the camera and housing next March! Beware, you are warned!

Joewr (dripping, if not drooling, with envy)

1980 huh??? let's see I was 3 years old then... yup... just a youngin still (well getting there almost 25 :D)

Either way with Nikon wether it's the N90s or the F5 or the F100 you really can't go wrong....

you should check this site out for comparison shopping (you can find smoking deals on packages or just the body)

http://www.shopping.yahoo.com

Wheezy the Plutocrat,

And I won't even begin to tell you which year I bought my Rollie. However, it took me a full summer to earn the money. Now it is worth more than 30 times what I paid for it. However, Exxon stock appreciated more!

At any rate, thanks for the site. I'll give it a look. I am still pondering the lens/dome selection, too. Zooms look so great, but which one? Or would it be better to purchase a single focal length lens? Which one? Lots of questions and lots of answers.

AND LOTS OF FUN!

Joewr (wiping off his chin and getting ready to have a little lunch)

I have to go to work. It's Fri. morning here on Guam. When I get home, I'll Give my recommendations on housing/camera set up (the ones I've seen and tried) and lens recommendations.

Rooster

I want to be in Guam... some good baseball players coming out of Guam.. (watching the little league world series)

Looks like you got some good diving as well... nice site by the way.. some rally good pics...

More on housings, cameras, and lenses. As I said in a previous post, I currently shoot, underwater, with a F-100 in an Aquatica housing. I bought the camera to get back into land photography after many years of shooting mostly UW. My last two land cameras were a Canon AE-1 and a Canon A-1 (my son is still using the A-1). I bought the F-100 after much research and I was not disappointed, this is one amazing camera. When I first got this camera, I was not intending to take it underwater. After a short time of taking land photos with the F-100 and then trying to get good macro shots underwater with my Nikonos V, I decided to try and house my F-100. At the time, there were only 4 housings on the market, Subal, Ikelite, Sea&Sea and Aquatica. Aquatica hadn't actually started shipping theirs yet, but the information looked very good. After researching every bit of information that was available, I decided on an Aquatica. It's a great housing for a great camera, at a great price. There are a couple of features on the F-100 that I wish I had access to. They can either be worked around or are not that big of a deal. Housings are a lot like cameras, which are a lot like cars. Different features are more important to some than others. The trick is to decide what features are important to you, and then find a camera/housing combo that fits your needs. In my HO the F-100 is the perfect camera to house. It is small and light. It has lightning fast, quite, accurate, and reliable auto focus. The price for an F-100 has dropped to below a grand, and probably will drop some more. Nikon has recently discontinued the N-90, so most of the housing manufactures will probably be focusing on F-100 housings.

Lenses and Ports. The three best lenses for a housed Nikon (IMHO) are the 60mm Micro Nikkor, the 105 mm Micro Nikkor, and the 20mm wide angle. The first two are best used with a flat port, while the 20mm needs a dome port (the 8 inch dome is better than the 6 inch dome). All the housings I have seen or read about for the F-5, F-100, or N-90, make ports to fit these three lenses. Ports are available for other lenses but you have to check with the specific manufacture to se if your lens camera set up will work. Some Zoom lenses can be used with a dome port. A Diopter is usually necessary for the lens to focus properly. I personally feel (and I'm sure to get flamed for this), that zooms are too much of a compromise, and I plan to stick to prime lenses UW. If I had to recommend only one lens to start with, I'd have to say the 60mm Micro Nikkor. This is a great lens. It is fast, focuses very fast, very sharp, and will do 1:1 macro. The best thing about a housed camera is that you actually see what the lens sees. This makes it great for Macro work. If on the other hand you want to shoot mostly wide angle, you might want to stick with your Nikonos V and 15mm lens. This set up is still considered by most to bet the best WA system. I know there is plenty more to get into, but this will have to do for now. I'm off to bed. I have an Open Water class to teach in the morning. Talk at you all later.
Dive Safe,
Rooster

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom