Nikon Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a D300 and D300S body housed in ikelite housings. My 2 favorite underwater lenses are 1.Wide Angle Zoom - AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED, and 2.Macro - AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
For a third lens I would get the versatile 80-200mm f/2.8 for topside. If you want to stick with U/W applications, I guesss I would get the fisheye or a 60mm macro.
A nice portrait lens is a 50mm f/1.4 or an 85mm f/1.4.
The difference in the 60mm and 105mm is that the 105 is great for tiny macro subjects and closeups of shy subject (like Jawfish). The 60mm is ideal for fish portraits. Both can be used for both applications. I feel that the 105mm is a little better at trying to do both with just one macro lens, but there are a lot of U/W photographers that use the 60mm as their only macro lens. For what you say you want to do, I suggest a 105mm. If you are going to do "super" macro, you will want to use powerful strobes. Underpowered strobes will result in a requirement of unacceptably long exposure times (leading to subject blurring). I use dual DS200 Substrobes (heavy but they do a great job). I do not find the VR function of my 105 useful for underwater applications, but it is great for topside. The older non-VR 105 micro is great for underwater, and cheaper if you can find one (if you are not going to use it for topside). I admire your restraint in sticking with 3 lenses (a lot of my discretionary income ends up screwed on the front of my camera body).:D Below are some shots I took with the 105mm (double click on thumbnail, then double click on black screen).

Attachments

• C09 1027 (82).jpg
    C09 1027 (82).jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 80
  • C09 1029 (27).jpg
    C09 1029 (27).jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 79
  • C09 1027 (120).jpg
    C09 1027 (120).jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 71
  • AQ510 09 (21).jpg
    AQ510 09 (21).jpg
    358 KB · Views: 79
  • AQ510 09 (66).jpg
    AQ510 09 (66).jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 84
  • B7 0095chead.jpg
    B7 0095chead.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 83
  • BA08 17 (96).jpg
    BA08 17 (96).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 77
  • BA7 6627e2.jpg
    BA7 6627e2.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 72
  • AQ 509 3 (4).jpg
    AQ 509 3 (4).jpg
    323 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
WOw This is Wonderful information =0) its RICH as "Johnny 5" would say

INPUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

MORE INPUT lol

The Results are in and here they are
Lens #1
Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens
Amazon.com: Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens: Camera & Photo

Lens #2
Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED IF Autofocus DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
Amazon.com: Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED IF Autofocus DX Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera &…

Lens #3
Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X DX AF Fisheye Super Wide-Angle Lens for Nikon Digital SLR
Amazon.com: Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X DX AF Fisheye Super Wide-Angle Lens for Nikon Digital SLR: Camera & Photo

What do you guys think?
goes with my Nikon 300s Combo deal that already comes with a VRII 18-200mm lens

I like the first 2 choices, but I have not had good luck with fisheye zooms (focus is frequently soft in the corners). I would consider going with a prime fisheye lens insted of a zoom.

I thought you can shut those off the auto zoom features?

send a link which one your talking about

The prime 10.5mm has sharper focus in the corners (this is due to alignment of the elements in the lens). The difference in the sharpness of quality zoom and prime lenses is not as apparent in longer focal length lenses, but in the ultra-wide angle range (such as the 10-17mm) the zooms are notoriously poor performers. If you are going to bother to take shots with a fish-eye, don't purchase a half-a_sed imitaion of a fisheye lens. Also that Tokina lens is a SLOW bit of glass (considering the quality of the rest of your gear, it would be the turd in the punchbowl sitting in your camera bag). I would suggest a Nikon 10.5mm f/2. 8G ED DX Fisheye Lens (substituting lens speed and clarity in lieu of zoom function). Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye Lens 2148 - B&H Photo Video

Also, with your 12-24mm lens, you will get better clarity if you put a 2+ diopter filter on it.

What type of housing do you have? If Ikelite, go with the lager diameter domed port for your wide angle lens.

Last edited:
and here comes the curve ball errrr.... well 105mm macro and the 12-24 is a deff lense
now nikon or tokina lens for fish eye errrrrr
wish there was a voting poll for this..
can you send me a link where i can buy that +2 diopter
so i can purchase it please

oo and i have a Nauticam 300s housing

The prime 10.5mm has sharper focus in the corners (this is due to alignment of the elements in the lens). The difference in the sharpness of quality zoom and prime lenses is not as apparent in longer focal length lenses, but in the ultra-wide angle range (such as the 10-17mm) the zooms are notoriously poor performers. If you are going to bother to take shots with a fish-eye, don't purchase a half-a_sed imitaion of a fisheye lens. Also that Tokina lens is a SLOW bit of glass (considering the quality of the rest of your gear, it would be the turd in the punchbowl sitting in your camera bag). I would suggest a Nikon 10.5mm f/2. 8G ED DX Fisheye Lens (substituting lens speed and clarity in lieu of zoom function). Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye Lens 2148 - B&H Photo Video

Also, with your 12-24mm lens, you will get better clarity if you put a 2+ diopter filter on it.

What type of housing do you have? If Ikelite, go with the lager diameter domed port for your wide angle lens.

Diverdoug have you actually used a Tokina 10-17mm?

Notoriously poor performer?.......thats why alot more of them are used instead of the Nikkor 10.5mm even on a professional level?

Slow bit of Glass? f2.8 vs f3.5.............are we shooting low light without strobes?........more likely in bright sunlight with two big strobes on full power and at f8. You be waiting longer for your ds200 to charge for the next shot than worrying about the speed of the Tokina 10-17mm.

Well there is also the 100mm mini dome available for fisheye lenses for the Naudicam. Something to look at as its very compact and great to travel, except you will find it hard to under and overs. Except they cant fit on a Ikelite housing.

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom