Nikonos info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kirby-Morgan,

Mike's made some good points here...

Mike Veitch:
...Personally if i were you i would go with a nice small point and shoot camera...and you are going to get a much higher percentage of keepers. Also, if you are going to be diving with the kids i think you will have a lot of fun being able to show them the results instantaneously.
Like you, many of us here have expensive film photography equipment sitting unused and unloved in boxes in the basement. And sometimes we feel guilty about that.

The question is how to justify writing off that stuff in favour of the new digital equipment.

Can I suggest a cute little P&S number will help you win you the hearts and minds battle. This is a good thing because you can email Auntie Doris and everyone else your colourful fish pics within hours of surfacing. Hey guys, get a load of this!!...

Then, once the family's hooked, you can work on more expensive digital gear.

Cynical?? Not me. Just a realist.

Hmmm. I have a hi res film scanner that is dusty along with my occasionally used Nikonos gear. Scanning film is as much fun as a root canal. Discrepancy has a good point.

---Bob

I saw your post kind of late, but here's a link to a used camera company which has a lot of old Nikonos flash equipment. You might even be able to find the three pin strobes.

http://keh.com/search_new/form.cfm?crid=12694496#anchor

I personally think you can save a lot of money, not have to learn computer skills, buy computer programs and discover that your present computer isn't very good at processing digital images.

Another suggestion, use color print film. Its wider eposure latitude will help alot underwater. You can also have the film scanned to photo CD's, providing you with best of both worlds.

Here's a link to a company in Florida which processes color print film, can make 35mm slide copies, digital scans to CD and regular prints.

http://www.dalelabs.com/

I have no financial benefit from the two companies mentioned here. I have used them both only as a customer.

ScubaBOBuba:
Hmmm. I have a hi res film scanner that is dusty along with my occasionally used Nikonos gear. Scanning film is as much fun as a root canal. Discrepancy has a good point.

---Bob

oh bob come on its really not that bad. I have a nikon 9000 and its easy for me because it only takes me a couple of minutes to get a neg prepped and previewed to get ready for a scan. then once its scanning i can work on something else.

i guess it comes down to a matter of preference as i use both film(35mm,120/220 or LF) and digital. all it comes down to is whats best for the job im shooting. To me there nothing like looking at the end product(a optical or digitally printed image) and going WOW

oh BTW count for the year so far and im not done is that i have shot 52GB of digital images and 400+ rolls of film and about 100 LF sheets.

FWIW

Tooth

You will need to upgrade your strobe connector. I still have two Nik I's and have made that upgrade on one of them. If you do decide to do it, I have an almost new 105 strobe that I will sell you VERY reasonably. I also have a couple of trays that will work, one that has an arm for the strobe. Let me know. While I use digital most of the time now, I still think the image quality is better with film.
OK, start the flame now....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom