Nikonos RS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zedovica

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi divers.

A bit of myself is I love underwater photography but is not a scuba diver. Freediver, spearfisher and surfing photography.

My question is for surfing photography. How durable and how the Nikonos RS can withstand the waves to capture the surfers surfing?

I have Nikonos II and III. I had Nikonos IV sold it because its bit too heavy. I just love Nikonos II and III because its small, simple and easy to get thru the waves as oppose to oversize housing with cameras. Nikonos RS is bulkier size. The only reason why I asked about Nikonos RS because of auto focus.

My opinion?

Not to mention way too heavy and too many buttons and such a Nikonos RS will likely be jammed with sand and such swirling around in the surf :( Plus shooting film? Hmmmmm......

My recommendation would be to buy a proper surfing housing for any digital SLR or mirrorless SLR.

There are many out there which are much lighter and easy to maneuver while trying to not get bashed in the surf.

David Haas

My opinion?

Not to mention way too heavy and too many buttons and such a Nikonos RS will likely be jammed with sand and such swirling around in the surf :( Plus shooting film? Hmmmmm......

My recommendation would be to buy a proper surfing housing for any digital SLR or mirrorless SLR.

There are many out there which are much lighter and easy to maneuver while trying to not get bashed in the surf.

David Haas
I have Subal N90 housing with dome as a primary shooter. Its really heavy. Just purchased Sea & Sea F100 with flat port. Loves it. Just bought Sea & Sea F80 and F90 but minus the shoe plate for the camera to hold inside the housing. Then just bought another Sea & Sea F90 when seller changed its mind to allow shipping oversea when nobody buying it for months months, that comes with camera, shoe plate, and flat port.
I like shooting with film because film is more aesthetic and likes to bring it back. Its becoming more popular with film that is more embraced. Yes i do shoot with digital as a backup. Main thing is film photography for surfing.

Yes, you are right. One of the concern is sandy disturbance. The particles would get stuck in the buttons. I generally avoided sandy disturbance.

Compare between Subal and Sea & Sea housings the weight may not be much difference to Nikonos RS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom