Nikonos V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timbo917

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

Hello,
Someone gifted me a Nikonos V last year.
Now, purely out of interest, I want to do some diving with the camera and take pictures. The nikonos has been in a closet somewhere for 25 years and so diving with it like this is not a good idea. Now there is nowhere in Belgium where I can have the O-rings replaced. In Germany I thought yes, but they ask a lot of money to do this. Now I am a Dive Equipment Technician and do know a few things about O-rings. So I have now bought myself a cheap non-working nikonos to disassemble and look for the right O-rings because I can't find any O-ring sets to buy. I have access to a pressure chamber to pressure test dive equipment and now the idea was to try and find the correct o-rings and then do a few pressure tests with the faulty camera to see if it works. I think I have found most of the O-rings but now I have a problem with the sight glass for the photo counter. I have already tried different sizes but I can no longer mount this glass. Does anyone know about this? I think I'm doing something wrong with the installation.

Hey Timbo! You are referring to the internal or external o-rings? There are a lot of brand new Nikonos V o-ring kits out there on eBay. I bought a few (one to use right away and a couple of spares) and changed the external O-rings myself no problem.

I understand there are also internal o-rings that are not user maintainable. I honestly just guessed based on quality and prayed that they still worked. I took mine on 4 dives both deep and shallow and the 20-40 year old internal o-rings held up.

I figured it was worth it because even if I flooded it, it would still be cheaper to replace with a new one on eBay than if I flooded and destroyed a modern mirrorless or high end compact digital camera.

I would worry more about dust and debris on the back film plate o-ring which you can maintain yourself for cheap.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to talk about this more

Just removed my o ring for the frame counter today.
You put in the glass first, with the flat surface on the top and the rounded loupe part facing downwards.
Then you squeeze the o ring inside the gap, I guess.
I found it a bit difficult to measure this o ring, because it was deformed so much. I ordered 7 mm x 2 mm now. What are your measurements?
I am collectibg all these information on my instagram account agua.de.plata, you can have a look there as well:

Back
Top Bottom