Ningaloo sea snake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wonderful shot!
Is the circled bump something that's on all Olive Sea Snakes or is it some sort of deformity, scar or unnatural growth?

snake1.jpg

Rick

Thanks, All!

Yes, these are some of the most poisonous sea snakes, but they're really friendly most of the time. Kinda like a long puppy :wink: I love 'em!

The viz was actually terrible - and I don't mean in a "well, we only had 60' viz", I mean in a we only had a few meters viz and there were a tremendous amount of floaties and crud in the water. Doesn't stop the marine life from being outstanding, so we don't care. And it's never too dirty to shoot macro! (My buddy was shooting WA with the 10-17 and still got some good shots coz he's figured out his strobe placement, so that was a good lesson, too).

How close? He was right on my port making lighting tough...here he's a few inches away.

Rick - that bump is because he's been bashing on the rock to loosen the skin/split the skin for molting. From the other side you can see where the skin has split open and is just starting to peel. I haven't seen one in this stage before so it was kinda cool.

...that bump is because he's been bashing on the rock to loosen the skin/split the skin for molting. From the other side you can see where the skin has split open and is just starting to peel. I haven't seen one in this stage before so it was kinda cool.
Double extra cool! Now that you mention that, I can see the signs of age and wear on the scale coverings elsewhere as well... :)
Rick

Man! I am sooooo (olive :d) green!! How cool is that!

I gotta get me some of that Western Australian dive time!!!

GREAT pic again girl...........you are (still) the champ...........keep taking them...........GEAUX TIGERS.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom